Path of least resistance for beginner..

Hello.
I recently got around to diving into a Papilio Pro I received about 3 years ago.
I struggled through the Windows 10 issues with the missing port/usb detection and the Windows 7 Web Pack ISE crashes.

Im now able to download the Papilio Pro 'hello world' bit file example, and confirms it dumps a default ascii table to a virtual COM port.

I then downloaded DesignLab, but notice there's no Papilio Pro board (just the Papilo Pro / ZPUino ?)  So I think Im out of luck there.

I also have a LogicStart mega wing, and was hoping there was some simple precompiled bit file I could download and verify its working properly.
Does such a thing exist, or do I have to manually create one with the Xilinx ISE and clips Hamsters fpga ebook?

Thanks very much,
Rob.

• 5 months later...
On 11/12/2017 at 12:42 AM, Rob Bairos said:

Hello.
I recently got around to diving into a Papilio Pro I received about 3 years ago.
I struggled through the Windows 10 issues with the missing port/usb detection and the Windows 7 Web Pack ISE crashes.

Im now able to download the Papilio Pro 'hello world' bit file example, and confirms it dumps a default ascii table to a virtual COM port.

I then downloaded DesignLab, but notice there's no Papilio Pro board (just the Papilo Pro / ZPUino ?)  So I think Im out of luck there.

I also have a LogicStart mega wing, and was hoping there was some simple precompiled bit file I could download and verify its working properly.
Does such a thing exist, or do I have to manually create one with the Xilinx ISE and clips Hamsters fpga ebook?

Thanks very much,
Rob.

Be interested to know how you got around those Windows 10 issues.  It is fighting me every step of the way!

Hm.  Can't remember what I did specifically, but I think I used usbview.exe
Looking further, I remember I had to replace something in the xilinx installation folders too, if memory serves:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/62380.html

Something about replacing one dll with another file from the installation in a couple of spots.

Definitely something along those lines.

Cheers,
Rob

Thanks again.  I am starting to get the horrible feeling my Papilio One has developed a fault in the 2-3 years it's been in storage (in an anti-static bag).  I fired up a Windows 7 VM in VMWare Player, I can upload the sample .bit file to the flash memory but when I connect to COM1 I get nothing.  I will try a few other files and see.