Sprint 2

james1095

Having wrapped up Super Breakout I focused on Sprint 2 and have that running now, I still need to implement the audio and do some testing but the game seems to be working fine. The photo doesn't really do it justice, there is a lot of moire distortion which is only an artifact of the camera interacting with the scan lines on the CRT. The cars are moving quickly so they appear blurry in the photo but everything looks good in person. These old games are small, Sprint 2 would fit easily in a P1 250k with room to spare.

I'll share the code when I'm finished, or if I get tired of working on it and stall.

Sprint2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the audio working now and everything is pretty much done, I do need to tweak some of the values that control the engine sound frequency but otherwise it's ready to go. I also did Sprint 1 because the hardware is almost identical. I'll post the code here soon in case anyone else wants to play with it, I have not had time to port it to the Papilio, been too busy working on more games but that should be simple, other than the ROMs and RAM the code should be platform-agnostic. The biggest challenge with actually playing the Sprint games is the controls, you need some sort of steering wheel with an optical encoder, ideally 36 pulse per revolution. You also need a gear shift, this has 3 switches for 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, open circuit selects 4th.

Super Bug is one that I considered doing at some point, the hardware is a bit different on that though, 6800 based and more closely related to Fire Truck which is another game I'd like to make. For now I'm working on some other 6502 based games, Ultra Tank first and from that I can derive Sprint 4 which is one of the first games to have color. I'm also looking at Atari Football which has an interesting scrolling playfield. Later perhaps Missile Command, it uses relatively simple hardware though it will probably require external RAM.

Here's my source for Sprint 1 and Sprint 2. I think these are in pretty good shape now, both work great, the sound is pretty good, I haven't found any remaining bugs. A really sharp observer may notice two of the cars in Sprint 1 are gray like in Sprint 2, I have since fixed that bug so all three drone cares are black.

5a11123a26cd3_Sprint1.thumb.jpg.ba68630805b763678939ba01a04097a4.jpg5a11124106505_Sprint2.thumb.jpg.dc2f9a211686e4d640e5b43ce50ad2bf.jpg

Sprint2.zip

Sprint1.zip