Unknown Papilio Board

mikejohnson

Hi

I bought one of these DUO 2MB boards a while ago but I've just got to start playing with it.  I'm failing pretty early on, and searching older posts suggests I'm not the first.

The message I'm getting is:

Programming to SPI Flash
Using devlist.txt
Invalid chain position 0, position must be less than 0 (but not less than 0).
Unknown Papilio Board
Using devlist.txt
USB transactions: Write 2 read 1 retries 0
IOException: Cannot open file 

I have swapped cables, and tried an account with no spaces in the name.  No luck.  Anyone got any ideas or am I looking at a faulty board?

This cryptic error message means that it can't find a jtag device connected to the FTDI chip (the error message have been changed in later versions of papilioprog).

There are two possible cause for this error - you either have several FTDI devices connected to the computer and papilioprog is talking to the wrong one, or the papilio board has a problem with the jtag wiring from the FTDI chip to the FPGA.

Magnus

On DUO there is a third possible reason for this error - the FT2232H chip on this board has two jtag controllers (port A and port B ) and if papilioprog is trying to open the wrong one you will get this error. If that's the case then one option is to specifically open the correct port using the "-d device name" option. Without the -d option papilioprog will open the first one it finds. 

Thanks, I tried "Papilio DUO A" and "Papilio DUO B" but still no luck sadly.  I just can't get DesignLab to talk to this board.  Still, "Unknown Papilio Board".

I did have a play with the Papilio loader and loaded C:\DesignLab-1.0.8\examples\Papilio_DUO_ArduinoISP\Papilio_DUO_ArduinoISP.bit - it seemed to almost work with the following output.  Sorry if this isn't relevant, I'm new to this. 

JTAG chainpos: 0 Device IDCODE = 0x24001093	Desc: XC6SLX9
Using devlist.txt
JTAG chainpos: 0 Device IDCODE = 0x24001093	Desc: XC6SLX9

Uploading "C:\Program Files (x86)\Gadget Factory\Papilio Loader\programmer\bscan_spi_xc6slx9.bit". DNA is 0x199aaccb571e1aff
Done.
Programming time 504.0 ms

Programming External Flash Memory with "C:\DesignLab-1.0.8\examples\Papilio_DUO_ArduinoISP\Papilio_DUO_ArduinoISP.bit".
Found Macronix Flash (Pages=32768, Page Size=256 bytes, 67108864 bits).
Erasing    :
Doing Partial Erase
......Ok
Verifying  :
......Pass
Programming :
......Ok
Verifying  :
Using devlist.txt
......Pass
Done.
SPI execution time 16217.6 ms
USB transactions: Write 6853 read 6684 retries 0

Using devlist.txt
Response incompatible with mask xxxx01
ISC_Done       = 1
ISC_Enabled    = 1
House Cleaning = 1
DONE           = 1

• 6 months later...