implementing wishbone_in[100:0]/wishbone_out[100:0] ports in verilog

tofu

hi,

i'm using designlab 1.0.8 with ise 14.7 on ubuntu 17.04 amd64, targeting a papilio pro/spartan 6 with the zpuino soft processor. i've got a working proof-of-concept design which combines a few bits and pieces, namely the whirlyfly (whirlygig) random number generator (https://github.com/zdavkeos/whirlyfly), a couple wishbone uart's (COMM_zpuino_wb_UART.vhd), and a wishbone watchdog peripheral written in verilog that i've been trying to integrate (https://github.com/freecores/watchdog/tree/master/rtl/verilog). the rng and uart components appear to be working fine, giving me up to 280KB/s or so of random data when polling both wishbone uart's sequentially at 3mbit/s. i'm then using the reference blake2s hash implementation (https://github.com/mjosaarinen/blake2_mjosref) to further "whiten" the output of the rng's. this slows down the output to about 30KB/s which is fine considering it's a complex operation. that's not the issue.

anyhow, the wishbone peripherals included in designlab, as well as the schematic representation of the zpuino 2.0 soft processor bundle the input and output wires into the wishbone_in/wishbone_out connections, which i assume is for simplicity when placing components using the schematic editor in ise. the watchdog.v implementation linked previously is designed with all of the wishbone wires broken out like: 

module watchdog(wb_clk_i, wb_rst_i, wb_dat_i, wb_dat_o, wb_we_i, wb_stb_i, wb_cyc_i, wb_ack_o, wb_int_o);

i've been trying unsuccessfully now for a while to modify the watchdog.v to present the same interface, so i can easily attach it to the zpuino using the schematic editor gui (i.e. Papilio_Pro.sch) in ise. without knowing how to modify the schematic symbol after generating it, i just took the one from the wishbone uart included in designlab, replaced the relevant variables and removed the tx/rx, and overwrote the existing watchdog.sym in the project directory. that seemed to work fine and let me drag & drop the watchdog onto an open wishbone port on the zpuino.

the issue i'm having is that i can't seem to get the pre-synthesis rtl schematic viewer in planahead to "alias" the slices of wishbone_in/wishbone_out to the friendly-named wires representative of their function within the wishbone bus (e.g. wire [31:0] wb_dat_i; assign wb_dat_i [31:0] = wishbone_in [59:28];). the design does synthesize fine, but i haven't bothered trying to write C code for the zpuino to interface/write with the watchdog peripheral because of the apparent brokenness being shown in planahead.

here's a simplification of what i've been doing unsuccessfully to create the "friendly" aliases of wishbone_in/wishbone_out:

// original, simplified
module watchdog(wb_clk_i, wb_rst_i, wb_dat_i, ...);
parameter Tp = 1;
input wb_clk_i;
input wb_rst_i; 
input [`WDT_WIDTH - 1:0] wb_dat_i;

// new, simplified
module watchdog(wishbone_in, wishbone_out);
parameter Tp = 1;
input [100:0] wishbone_in;
output [100:0] wishbone_out;
wire wb_clk_i = wishbone_in [61];
wire wb_rst_i = wishbone_in [60];
wire [31:0] wb_dat_i;
assign wb_dat_i [31:0] = wishbone_in [59:28];

// mutual code between original & new
always @(posedge wb_rst_i or posedge wb_clk_i)
  if (wb_rst_i) begin
    stb <= #Tp 1'b0;
    we <= #Tp 1'b0;
    dat_ir <= #Tp `WDT_WIDTH'h0;
  end else begin
    stb <= #Tp wb_stb_i && wb_cyc_i;
    we <= #Tp wb_we_i;
    dat_ir <= #Tp wb_dat_i;
  end

attached are abridged screenshots of what planahead shows for the unmodified verilog code straight from the aforementioned github repo (top image), and the seemingly broken output from my modified version where i try to bundle up the wires into wishbone_in/wishbone_out. the dat_ir is where wb_dat_i is showing a single wire instead of [31:0]. also attached is the work-in-progress modified watchdog.v. please keep in mind that these are the first lines of vhdl/verilog i've ever written so my knowledge of syntax/terminology is very limited.

thanks!

verilog_watchdog_planahead.png

watchdog.v

hi jack,

thanks for the reply. that is how i originally generated the symbol for the watchdog peripheral. the wishbone_in/wishbone_out were at left and right sides though, not combined on top with the correct spacing. i did that so i could drag/drop without having to mess around with editing X/Y coordinates of the symbol and so forth.

however, my issue is that, for example, on dat_ir, "d" shows as just "28", not "[59:28]". it's only attaching a single input rather than the entire array slice. the attached image shows what i'm referring to.

thanks,

-matt

• 1 month later...

Hello Matt,

I think I'm not totally following along what the problem is, but let me try. I see in the picture above that you are connecting wb_rst_i which is a single port to c[31:0] which is a mismatch of a bus with a single element. I'm not sure if that is what you are talking about but if you need to connect wb_rst_i to one of the elements of c[31:0] then you can use a bus tap to expose just one of the signals.

This shows how to accomplish that:

http://gadgetfactory.net/learn/2015/03/30/designlab-basics/

Jack.

hi jack,

thanks for trying to understand my poorly described issue. i don't speak the "language" so i'm probably not using proper terms anywhere...

the vhdl wishbone peripherals provided in the designlab ide have their wires unpacked like so (taken verbatim from COMM_zpuino_wb_UART.vhd):

-- Unpack the wishbone array into signals so the modules code is not confusing.
  wb_clk_i <= wishbone_in(61);
  wb_rst_i <= wishbone_in(60);
  wb_dat_i <= wishbone_in(59 downto 28);
  wb_adr_i <= wishbone_in(27 downto 3);

the watchdog peripheral i found on opencores is written in verilog, and it does not "unpack the wishbone array". my efforts thus far have been to try to adapt the watchdog so i can create a symbol then drag & drop it onto one of the zpuino's wishbone slots using the gui schematic editor. the examples included in designlab are bundled into an 101 signal array like:

wishbone_in : in std_logic_vector(100 downto 0);
wishbone_out : out std_logic_vector(100 downto 0);

the issue i'm having is that no matter what i've attempted, the schematic looks incorrect in planahead pre-synthesis. when i try to split up the 101 element array into a smaller array (e.g. 32 address lines and 32 data lines), the wires don't connect properly. instead of the 32 signals in wb_dat_i and wb_addr_i, it only shows *one* signal. i can't get it to show a 32<->32 connection. it always does 32<->1. that's incorrect. i figured it might be just a display/rendering issue in planahead, but i think i'm just doing something wrong.

the gist of the verilog code is that i'm trying to use is this:

the "equivalent" working vhdl from designlab uart is this:

signal wb_dat_i: std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);
wb_dat_i <= wishbone_in(59 downto 28)

so, for some reason i can't properly connect the array from wishbone_in[59:28] to wb_dat_i[31:0]. it only connects the one signal at position #28 in the array, instead of all 32. the image attached below (which i crudely drew on) shows what i see in planahead.

i did watch the video and i suppose i could make multiple bus taps to the wishbone slot, then map the i/o on the unmodified opencores watchdog to them. i'm not sure if i can make multiple bus taps to the same wishbone slot connection? i might try that if what i've been attempting doesn't pan out.

thanks again for taking the time to help!
-matt

wishbone_issue_annotated.jpg

7 hours ago, tofu said:

the gist of the verilog code is that i'm trying to use is this:

the "equivalent" working vhdl from designlab uart is this:

signal wb_dat_i: std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);
wb_dat_i <= wishbone_in(59 downto 28)

No, that's not "equivalent" - you did not declare wb_data_i in the verilog version like you do in the vhdl version so it defaults to a single wire.

Try this:

assign wb_dat_i = wishbone_in [59:28];

Magnus

7 hours ago, mkarlsson said:

No, that's not "equivalent" - you did not declare wb_data_i in the verilog version like you do in the vhdl version so it defaults to a single wire.

Try this:

assign wb_dat_i = wishbone_in [59:28];

Magnus

hi magnus,

thanks for the response. while i didn't mention it, i had tried just about every permutation (valid and non-valid syntax) of making these array assignments between wishbone-in<->wb_dat_i possible. i had also tried it like you mentioned, but it unfortunately doesn't seem to change that a single wire is being connected rather than 32 of them. please see this screenshot from planahead of what the syntax you posted above looks like. i'm planning on looking at a few other wishbone peripherals from designlab later tonight, to better understand how planahead represents arrays of wires.

thanks,

-matt

wishbone_in_28.png