Problems with using separate modules(noob)

jammasterz

Hey there. I'm following this tutorial:

http://forum.gadgetfactory.net/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/papilio/logicstart-megawing/intro-to-spartan-fpga-ebook-r34

(By the way there is no code in the repository, only the book itself);

I'm currently on chapter 13 and I'm having problems with getting it to work. I'm supposed to:

• Create a new module - a 30-bit counter called "counter30", with the following external signals:
– clk : in STD_LOGIC
– enable : in STD_LOGIC
– count : out STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(29 downto 0)

• View the ’Instantiation Template’ for your component. Copy the component declaration into your switches_leds.vhd source
• In switches_leds create an instance of counter30
– Connect the counter’s count output to a bus called count1
– Connect the "enable" signal to switch(0)
– Connect the clock
– Connect the top four bits of count1 to LEDs(3 downto 0).

I've spent a ton of time trying to figure out whats wrong but I have no idea. This is what I have so far:
The counter30 module:
library IEEE;use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL;entity counter30 is    Port ( clk : in  STD_LOGIC;           enable : in  STD_LOGIC;           count : out  STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (29 downto 0));end counter30;architecture Behavioral of counter30 is	signal counter : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(29 downto 0) := (others => '0');begin	clk_proc: process(clk)	begin		if enable = '1' then			if rising_edge(clk) then				counter <= counter + 1;			end if;	end if;	end process;end Behavioral;

The main program:

library IEEE;use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL;entity Swiches_LEDs is    Port (		switches : in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 downto 0);		LEDs : out  STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(3 downto 0);		clk1 : in STD_LOGIC);end Swiches_LEDs;architecture Behavioral of Swiches_LEDs is	COMPONENT counter30	PORT(		clk : IN std_logic;		enable : IN std_logic;          		count : OUT std_logic_vector(29 downto 0)		);	END COMPONENT;		signal count1 : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(29 downto 0) := (others => '0');begin	Inst_counter30: counter30 PORT MAP(		clk => clk1,		enable => switches(0),		count => count1	);	LEDs(3 downto 0) <= count1(29 downto 26);end Behavioral;

Does anybody know whats wrong?

>> I've spent a ton of time trying to figure out whats wrong but I have no idea.

In the great song of FPGA, this is the chorus line :)

What usually happens is that the design tool quietly proves to itself that your (buggy) design reduces to a constant. Then optimizes away everything. Try to debug that...

Archived