8086tiny - A software CPU emulator

hamster

LOL, takes me back a while...  My first x86 (1985ish) computer was 4.77 MHz.  It was an 8088 though, not an 8086.  (8088=8 bit external bus, 8086=16 bit.)  I remember being the cool kid on the block with a 2400 baud modem and a 20MB hard disk!

That wikipedia page with the PS/2 computers makes me laugh about a prank we pulled on my boss at the time - he got a PS/2 model 30 with two floppies, and the other guy in the shop and I took it all apart (in about a minute!) and then put it all back together, but without the two floppy drives.  We put the two faceplates back on though, so when he came in and sat down and then inserted a floppy, it just fell into the case.  The look on his face was great!

• 2 weeks later...

Our first PC was an 8088 clocked at 4.77 MHz. The 8086 IIRC differed in that it had a 16 bit data bus while the 8088 had an 8 bit bus, but internally the core was more or less the same.

My friend had a Compaq 8086 PC that ran at 7 MHz IIRC. I remember seeing some clocked as high as 8 MHz but I don't think they ever got beyond that, at least not officially.

I remember seeing some clocked as high as 8 MHz but I don't think they ever got beyond that, at least not officially.

Yes, I had/have a Computerland (remember them?) BC88, with an 8MHz 8088.  It was really interesting to me as it had a backplane, and in theory, you could upgrade to an 80286 by replacing the cpu card.  Ubergeek!

Couldn't play the game "Baby" with it at 8MHz though, had to turn off the "turbo" and go back to 4.77MHz...

Archived