FPGA synth

james1095

This may be well known but I haven't seen mention of it here yet.

http://www.fpga.synth.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage

There are a number of synthesizer projects with source available. Looks like they're intended to run on the Spartan3E dev board so it should be trivial to port them to the Papilio platform. The Retrocade Synth megawing would be ideal, but a bare bones MIDI/DAC wing would be simple.

Cool!

I tried it on my PPro with the Retrocade board. I got the LCD to come up with the Gateman Poly screen but I wasn't able to get a peep out of the thing. I messed around with the included app and tried pointing it to both of the Papilio comm ports but no luck. It doesn't appear to have any indication of whether the PC software is actually talking to the hardware.

I was trying with a MIDI capable sequencer which works with Retrocade. Maybe I need to try a keyboard instead?

James,

I remember similar problems when I was first testing out Gateman Poly. It comes with default settings of 0 so it won't make a peep until you load a good patch to it. I didn't have any luck until I downloaded a sample patch from the Gateman Poly website, that was what opened everything up for me.

Jack.

Oh, I just remembered more detail. I did the same thing, I was thinking that things were not working because I was using the patch editor app and changing settings then loading it to gateman and not getting any results. I had to download the saved patch from the site and load it into the patch editor, when I uploaded that to the gateman it worked and provided a working baseline to start from.

Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

I messed around with this some more yesterday and still no luck. I downloaded the test001.gpf and loaded that in the sample editor but no sound out of the board. Maybe the sequencer I'm using isn't putting out MIDI data on the right channels? It works with the SID chip in the Retrocade synth. Anyone else get this working?

Archived