loader insists on java runtime

I am new to the Papilio world and spent some time tonight getting the xilinx webpack installed and the various other drivers.  Fine.

When I installed the Papilio Loader program, I chose the PapilioLoader-2.4-Setup-noJava.zip option, as I don't have Java on my system, and don't want java on my system.  I was glad to see the loader gave me that option.  I installed it, but when I attempted to load the Quickstart bitfile to my papilio pro, I got the message saying Java Runtime 1.6 was required.

So then I thought maybe I misunderstood -- java is required, and "noJava" means I don't want to install the java runtime, and the other one I should use if need to include the java runtime.  So I tried installing the other one .. and when I attempt to download the quickstart bitfile, I get the same message.

So can someone clarify: is java runtime a requirement (waaah!) or not (yay!)?

Thank you.

Hello Jim,

Its always a trade off when the desire is to make an application that can run in Windows and Linux. Java is not my favorite solution either but it is one of the best ways to make a cross platform application. Unfortunately the Papilio Loader GUI is written in Java and it does require the Java JRE. The PapilioLoader-2.4-Setup-noJava.zip option means that it does not include an installer for the Java JRE. It is meant for people who already have a JRE installed and do not want to download another one. The full option will install a JRE for you, I believe it gives you the option to cancel out, but without a JRE the Papilio Loader GUI will not run.

The good news is that you don't need to use the Java GUI. If you navigate to where the Papilio Loader app is installed you should see a scripts directory. There is a Papilio_Programmer.bat file there that can be used to load bit files without requiring Java or the GUI. You can manually associate bit files with Papilio_Programmer.bat and whenever you download or double click on a bit file it will take care of things for you. You can also just drag and drop bit files onto the bat file if you want.

Hope that helps,

Jack.

Jack, thanks for the quick reply.  I'm glad to hear the JRE isn't needed.  However, I did try the installer with java and I can see the java/ subdir install the loader dir, and it is populated with various files and bin/ and lib/ subdirs which are full of stuff.  Yet when I tried to run the loader, I got the same message that JRE 1.6 is needed, and hitting OK led me to the java.com java version 7 update 21 download page.

When I have time tonight I'll try again with the command line version of the loader script.

Thanks again.

Hello Jim,

It seems the name of the download file was misleading for you. The suffix "-no java-" actually means that the setup is without Java installer, so its about 18~19MB smaller. Those who have Java already installed can just download the main Papilio loader application quickly. It does not mean that its a different version that does not require Java.

Nevertheless, the full installer should work, am not sure what happened at your end in this case. Anyway, like Jack said,  you do have all the command line tools and scripts to use the application without any GUI.

Girish

Jack and Girish --

Thanks for the help.  Although I don't want Java on my machine (security issues, frequent updates, nothing I run other than this loader uses it), it did bug me that the gui wasn't running.  I uninstalled the papilio loader app, rebooted, checked that the gadget factory program folder was entirely gone, and reinstalled with the "with java" loader app.  Yet attempting to double click on the bit file to download it, it still complains about not having jre 1.6.

I should have mentioned this the first time: 64-bit windows 7, current on all updates.

After that, I uninstalled the app and reinstalled the without-java loader app and associated the .bit files with the gui-free script and that works, so I'm happy.

Jim,

I think you just discovered a problem that we need to fix. I think the launch4j executable is looking for the java directory in the wrong location... I put this on the task list as something we need to fix right away, it was probably masked by most people actually having java already.

Jack.

Archived