Using an updated Arduino IDE

zwabbit

zwabbit,

Actually it looks close just because I only forked the Arduino repository in anticipation of trying to upgrade to the latest version. So what you see in github is just a straight fork with no modifications. The actual Papuino IDE source code is located on an old svn server here.

I spent a couple hours trying to do an update and created a new branch on github, called papuino, that I think has most of the changes needed. It compiles with Ant but there is a problem with getting the papilio core to copy into the temp directory. Things have changed quite a bit since 0018 and I'm not sure how things work now... The other issue is that I copied the papilio core that is based on the 0018 hardware core base, we will want to go through all the c code there and update that as well. Unless we can get a new soft processor based on the atmega128 up and running, then there should be no need.

Anyway, the next step is to figure out how to get the papilio tools directory and papilio core directory to copy into the temp directory.

Jack.

Well, I was searching around for info on how to copy the papilio tools and core directories and I came across this:

http://arduino.cc/blog/2012/10/22/arduino-1-5-support-for-the-due-and-other-processors-easier-library-installation-simplified-board-menu-etc/

Looks like Arduino 1.5 is designed to do what we do with the Papilio without having to modify the base source code. So I think the best course of action here is to drop the effort to get 1.02 working and go straight to 1.5...

Jack.

Excellent ! I second the request from zwabbit : an updated version of the arduino IDE for papilio would be very welcome !

I just had the need yesterday, to test the excellent Mozzi sound synthesis package :

http://sensorium.github.com/Mozzi/

Alas, the sketch only builds with arduino IDE >= 1.0... :-(

It would rock to play some Mozzi sounds right on the papilio (I have a Papilio One 500k in my case)

Ok, I put a little time into this and managed to get everything setup as a zip file that you can just unzip into the Arduino 1.5 directory. It will create a new papilio core and everything seems to work. I haven't done a lot of testing but attached is the result.

Keep in mind this is using the core arduino files from 0018 modified to work with the atmega103. There hasn't been time to go through the 1.5 files and update for the atmega103. I came across this website and I like their approach to adding support for more AVR chips. I think we should adopt their strategy, heck we might be able to just use their files without modification, but even then the files are from 0020 which is a little behind, unless the core files have not changed since 0020?

Jack.

papilio-arduino1.5.zip

:D :D :D

It works for the very simple LED blinking test I just did. (Our 500K's came in). That's enough to start demo'ing to my prof. Thanks Jack! Now back to fixing up the voltage shield, and the possibility that I may need to rewire a few things.

Edit:

Though, a thought, this worked when I forgot to copy over the custom.bit and custom_bd.mm files from the AVR8 software built using the Xilinx webpack. What are the vanilla custom* files in the zip you posted? Cause when I was testing out the papilio using the customized Arduino 018 with the custom* files I synthesized, the build process in the arduino ide failed.

I too was able to succesfully test the blink sketch

Thanks jack !

However i didnt test building my own custom as zwabbit, nor

Could i build and test mozzi

I will be busy these days as i wait for my second baby born

So maybe someone can beat me to it

Thanks again jack

Though, a thought, this worked when I forgot to copy over the custom.bit and custom_bd.mm files from the AVR8 software built using the Xilinx webpack. What are the vanilla custom* files in the zip you posted? Cause when I was testing out the papilio using the customized Arduino 018 with the custom* files I synthesized, the build process in the arduino ide failed.

It looks like I did not include the custom board type in the boards.txt file add the following entry to get custom boards:

##############################################################
papilio_Custom.name=Gadget Factory Papilio Custom Board
papilio_Custom.upload.tool=papilio
papilio_Custom.upload.protocol=sam-ba
papilio_Custom.upload.use_1200bps_touch=true
papilio_Custom.upload.wait_for_upload_port=false
papilio_Custom.upload.native_usb=false
papilio_Custom.upload.using=papilio_custom
papilio_Custom.upload.maximum_size=16384
papilio_Custom.build.mcu=atmega103
papilio_Custom.build.f_cpu=16000000L
papilio_Custom.build.core=arduino
##############################################################

The bit file that is included with the default board types is the "Shifty" variant instead of the "Vanilla" variant. Look at this page to learn more about the differences.

Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jack, the problem I mentioned with the custom cores is still around and I thought I should provide some more detail. I synthesized the AVR softcore version 1.6 linked here: https://github.com/GadgetFactory/Arduino-Soft-Core/zipball/v1.6 using Xilinx Webpack 14.2. I should note that I did not turn anything off, I left the core in its default state, since this was a first pass attempt to make sure the basic process worked. I then took the custom.bit and custom_bd.bmm files and dropped them into the bitstream folder in the arduino ide folder in the appropriate place, but when I attempt to upload my test program (the blink example) to the papilio, I get the following error:

ERROR:Data2MEM:6 - Illegal token 'RAMB16', 'opening range bracket '['' expected.

Line #23, File "bitstreams\custom_bd.bmm".

PM_Inst/RAM_Word0 RAMB16 [15:0] [0:1023] PLACED = X0Y4;

Any idea what could be causing that?

As an aside, using the "custom" files included by default worked insomuch as the IDE claimed to have written them to the board, but the blink example did not itself work.

Zwabbit,

Ahh, yes, this is a known problem. The version of data2mem that is included with the core files is old. It doesn't understand the bmm file format that is created by newer versions of webpack. There is a discussion about it here. All that is needed is to update data2mem to a newer version. I should have done that when I put the core package together for Arduino 1.5 but I was more focused on seeing if it could work.

Jack

Archived