Zetris upload problem

John

Hi,

I'm trying to upload Zetris on my Papilio One (500) with an Arcade Mega Wing, following the Papilio_Arcade_User_Guide.pdf, but ZPUino IDE fails as reported below.

SmallFS: Packed 5 files sucessfully

zetris.cpp: In function `void area_init()':

zetris.cpp:313: warning: unused variable 'x'

zetris.cpp:313: warning: unused variable 'y'

Binary sketch size: 6912 bytes (of a 12160 byte maximum)

Appending extra data file

Cannot get programmer version, aborting.

Both COM ports gives the same messages.

Pong demo works loaded to FPGA and to FLASH so the HW seems to be ok.

What shall I do to fix this problem?

/John

Hello John,

The ZPUino works a little bit differently then the AVR8. With the ZPUino you have to load the Soft Processor to SPI Flash before you load a sketch to it. The "Cannot get programmer version, aborting" message sounds like the ZPUino soft processor is not running on the Papilio.

What you want to do is to download the ZPUino Soft Processor that is designed for the P1 500K and Arcade MegaWing. Then you want to load this bit file to the SPI Flash. Then when you load the Zetris sketch you should get past that message.

Let me know how it goes,

Jack.

Ok,

That error usually means that the zpuprogrammer cannot communicate with the ZPUino soft processor. So if you are seeing a sync signal on the VGA port then that is a very definite indication that the ZPUino Soft Processor is running.

The next thing I can think of is that the serial port that you are selecting in the modified version of the Arduino IDE is not pointing to the right COM port? The ft2232 chip on the Papilio has two channels, the first channel is for JTAG communications to program the FPGA and the second one is for serial communications and is used to program the ZPUino. You might want to double check that you are connecting to channel B under the device manager (assuming this is Windows). Then, in the Arduino IDE, make sure that under Tools/Serial Port the correct COM port is selected.

Alvie, do you have any ideas besides that?

Jack.

When connecting the USB cable, Arduino finds two new com ports, COM4 and COM5.

Device manager reports COM5: "on USB Serial Converter B"

Tried both and they produce the same message as previously posted.

I'm running Windows7.

/John

John,

Can you try to load the Arcade MegaWing Test plan? It is a ZPUino based design that uses a different script and the zpuinoprogrammer.exe directly. You will have to modify the script file to specify the COM port but it is an alternative method that might shed some light onto whats going wrong with the IDE.

Jack.

Hello Jack,

I just run the Test plan. The output is pasted below.

Afterwards I loaded the file Quickstart-Papilio_One_500K-v1.5.bit to test the serial port and the ASCII chart is flowing just fine on COM5:9600baud.

Also measured the voltages next to B(0-3): 2V5-2.50V 3V5-3.30V 5V-4.86V

/John

#################################################################

Programming Arcade MegaWing Verification to Papilio

Using devlist.txt

Programming a Papilio One 500K

Using devlist.txt

JTAG chainpos: 0 Device IDCODE = 0x41c22093    Desc: XC3S500E

Uploading "bscan_spi_xc3s500e.bit". Done.

Programming time 224.0 ms

Programming External Flash Memory with "zpuino-ZB2-PapilioOne-S3E500-HQVGA-8bit-ArcadeWing.bit".

Found SST Flash (Pages=2048, Page Size=264 bytes, 4325376 bits).

Erasing    :

Ok

Verifying  :

..Pass

Programming :

..............Finished Programming

Ok

Verifying  :

..Pass

Done.

SPI execution time 8016.0 ms

USB transactions: Write 3849 read 3133 retries 0

Using devlist.txt

JTAG chainpos: 0 Device IDCODE = 0x41c22093    Desc: XC3S500E

ISC_Done      = 0

ISC_Enabled    = 0

House Cleaning = 1

DONE          = 0

Cannot get programmer version, aborting

Press any key to continue . . .

#################################################################

John,

I'm sorry this is taking so long to work through, this one has me a little bit baffled, but we will get to a solution. :)

With the info we have now I'm thinking of two possibilities:

1) Its a hardware problem that only shows up with a high speed design like the ZPUino. Maybe the oscillator is just off enough that when you put it through the DCM to get it to 96Mhz the serial communications speeds are not right... The oscillator seems like the most likely culprit here...

2) Its some kind of software issue on your computer like needing administrative rights, or anti-virus blocking serial communications. (This seems unlikely since other things are working...)

The software issue is easy to rule out by testing on another computer or downloading a virtual machine, like the Papilio linux virtual machine that I put together over at Suse Studio. If you are willing then I would ask if you could test on another machine, or a virtual machine, to rule out a weird software issue. Or we can just work on replacing the hardware, but I would hate to put you through the hassle of having to wait for a replacement just to find the same problem when a replacement arrives...

Either way, I'm very sorry about the hassle and I appreciate your patience while we figure this out.

Thanks,

Jack.

Archived