sync_with_child Error

Thxe

Hello, I just installed the ZAP IDE and am having trouble with the AVR8 PapilioQuickStart sketch. I have been following these directions. When I try to compile and upload the sketch, I get this: 

1 [main] cp 5956 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer.  Please report this problem tothe public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.comcygwin warning:  MS-DOS style path detected: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\build1443114436415589780.tmp  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp/build1443114436415589780.tmp  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnamesExecuting  D:\<path>\papilio-zap-ide\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-size -A C:\Users\<username>1\AppData\Local\Temp\build1443114436415589780.tmp/Papilio_QuickStart.cpp.hexBinary sketch size: 3,076 bytes (of a 16,384 byte maximum) - 18% used      0 [main] sh 5252 sync_with_child: child 3096(0x178) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142     23 [main] sh 5252 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmpsh.exe: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable      0 [main] sh 3168 sync_with_child: child 3216(0x174) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142     22 [main] sh 3168 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmpsh.exe: fork: Resource temporarily unavailablemake: Entering directory `C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp/build1443114436415589780.tmp'Converting Intel hex file to Verilog Mem format:./srec_cat Papilio_QuickStart.cpp.hex -Intel -Byte_Swap 2  -Data_Only -o tmp.mem -vmem 8./gawk ' BEGIN{FS=" ";} { $1= ""; print } ' tmp.mem > out.mem      0 [main] sh 992 sync_with_child: child 3004(0x16C) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142     20 [main] sh 992 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmpsh.exe: fork: Resource temporarily unavailablemake: *** [hex] Error 128make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp/build1443114436415589780.tmp'processing.app.debug.RunnerException: the selected serial port make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp/build1443114436415589780.tmp' does not exist or your board is not connectedat processing.app.debug.BasicUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(BasicUploader.java:159)at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1678)at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1620)at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1592)at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2511)at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

There are some threads from like 2008 describing problems with vista causing the sync_with_child error which suggest using a modified version of msys-1.0.dll. I tried this and got this output instead:

0 [main] cp 6248 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer.  Please report this problem tothe public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.comcygwin warning:  MS-DOS style path detected: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\build1443114436415589780.tmp  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp/build1443114436415589780.tmp  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnamesExecuting  D:\<path>\papilio-zap-ide\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-size -A C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\build1443114436415589780.tmp/Papilio_QuickStart.cpp.hexBinary sketch size: 3,076 bytes (of a 16,384 byte maximum) - 18% usedmake: Entering directory `C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp/build1443114436415589780.tmp'Converting Intel hex file to Verilog Mem format:./srec_cat Papilio_QuickStart.cpp.hex -Intel -Byte_Swap 2  -Data_Only -o tmp.mem -vmem 8./gawk ' BEGIN{FS=" ";} { $1= ""; print } ' tmp.mem > out.memUsage: gawk.exe" [POSIX or GNU style options] -f progfile [--] file ...gawk.exe" [POSIX or GNU style options] [--] 'program' file ...POSIX options: GNU long options:-f progfile --file=progfile-F fs --field-separator=fs-v var=val --assign=var=val-m[fr] val-W compat --compat-W copyleft --copyleft-W copyright --copyright-W help --help-W lint --lint-W lint-old --lint-old-W posix --posix-W re-interval --re-interval-W source=program-text --source=program-text-W traditional --traditional-W usage --usage-W version --versionReport bugs to bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org,with a Cc: to arnold@gnu.orgmake: *** [hex] Error 1make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp/build1443114436415589780.tmp'processing.app.debug.RunnerException: the selected serial port make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp/build1443114436415589780.tmp' does not exist or your board is not connectedat processing.app.debug.BasicUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(BasicUploader.java:159)at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1678)at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1620)at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1592)at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2511)at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

It appears that this solves the problem to some extent, but now something weird happens with gawk.

EDIT: Related to the first error (something cygwin and cp related) it does appear that the files are successfully copied to the temporary directory.

Hello Thxe,

Are you running Windows 8.1 by any chance? I have one computer that started doing this as well, but the same exact code on the other computers I have work perfectly... It started happening to one of my computers right after I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1... I didn't put a lot of effort into it because I thought it was isolated to that one computer and I figured it must be some kind of conflict with a cygwin install or something...

If others are also seeing this then its time to start digging into the problem. Any information you see is or insights about the problem are greatly appreciated.

Jack.

I am in fact running Windows 8.1, and I have found a solution although its not pretty.

I used a rebased msys-1.0.dll as described in the thread from 2008. I believe the one posted on that thread should work, although I used one from my local installation of msysgit. This should get you to the gawk problem.

To fix that, I changed the gawk command to:

./gawk ' BEGIN{FS=" ";} { $1= ""; print $0 > out.mem} ' tmp.mem

Inside the makefile, this is:

$(GAWK) ' BEGIN{FS=" ";} { $$1= ""; print $$0 > "out.mem" } ' tmp.mem

After that, it worked and I was able to load the quickstart sketch on to my Papilio One 500K with working results. For those trying to fix this themselves, the makefile that needs to be changed is in papilio-zap-ide\hardware\tools\papilio\Makefile.

I think the gawk problem was that for some reason (old msys dll?) gawk was being passed the redirection as a parameter. When it saw the > after its input file, it gave up and printed its usage string. The changed script tells gawk to output the result into the file itself, rather than using redirection.

Thxe

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

I'm having similar trouble. I'm following the same tutorial as Thxe in his first post. Also I followed his solutions, i.e. replaced the .dll file and made changes to the Makefile. But I still get the following error:

0 [main] cp 3364 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer.  Please report this problem to
the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com
Executing  C:\papilio-zap-ide\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-size -A C:\Users\Hema\AppData\Local\Temp\build7792900478858895576.tmp/Papilio_QuickStart.cpp.hex
Binary sketch size: 3,076 bytes (of a 16,384 byte maximum) - 18% used
      0 [main] sh 5156 sync_with_child: child 2888(0x16C) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142
     14 [main] sh 5156 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
sh.exe: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
      0 [main] sh 3408 sync_with_child: child 4788(0x170) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142
     15 [main] sh 3408 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
make: Entering directory `C:/Users/Hema/AppData/Local/Temp/build7792900478858895576.tmp'

Converting Intel hex file to Verilog Mem format:
./srec_cat Papilio_QuickStart.cpp.hex -Intel -Byte_Swap 2  -Data_Only -o tmp.mem -vmem 8
./gawk ' BEGIN{FS=" ";} { $1= ""; print}' tmp.mem > out.mem
      0 [main] sh 3688 sync_with_child: child 4636(0x164) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142
     14 [main] sh 3688 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
make: *** [hex] Error 128
make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Hema/AppData/Local/Temp/build7792900478858895576.tmp'
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: the selected serial port make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Hema/AppData/Local/Temp/build7792900478858895576.tmp'
 does not exist or your board is not connected
at processing.app.debug.BasicUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(BasicUploader.java:159)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1678)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1620)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1592)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2607)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Am I missing something? Other than the changes I made to the Makefile I'm simply replacing msys-1.0.dll in two file locations 
C:\papilio-zap-ide\hardware\tools\avr\utils\bin and C:\papilio-zap-ide\hardware\tools\papilio 
Do I need to do anything else?

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have figured out the problem. Thxe recommended editing the Makefile based on the error he got, (mine is similar)

0 [main] cp 3332 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer.  Please report this problem to
the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com
Executing  C:\zap\papilio-zap-ide\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-size -A C:\Users\Hema\AppData\Local\Temp\build6786442700255138664.tmp/AVR8_Custom.cpp.hex
Binary sketch size: 1,962 bytes (of a 16,384 byte maximum) - 11% used
make: Entering directory `C:/Users/Hema/AppData/Local/Temp/build6786442700255138664.tmp'

Converting Intel hex file to Verilog Mem format:
./srec_cat AVR8_Custom.cpp.hex -Intel -Byte_Swap 2  -Data_Only -o tmp.mem -vmem 8
./gawk ' BEGIN{FS=" ";} { $1= ""; print}' tmp.mem > out.mem
Usage: gawk.exe" [POSIX or GNU style options] -f progfile [--] file ...
gawk.exe" [POSIX or GNU style options] [--] 'program' file ...
POSIX options: GNU long options:
-f progfile --file=progfile
-F fs --field-separator=fs
-v var=val --assign=var=val
-m[fr] val
-W compat --compat
-W copyleft --copyleft
-W copyright --copyright
-W help --help
-W lint --lint
-W lint-old --lint-old
-W posix --posix
-W re-interval --re-interval
-W source=program-text --source=program-text
-W traditional --traditional
-W usage --usage
-W version --version

Report bugs to bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org,
with a Cc: to arnold@gnu.org
make: *** [hex] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Hema/AppData/Local/Temp/build6786442700255138664.tmp'
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: the selected serial port make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Hema/AppData/Local/Temp/build6786442700255138664.tmp'
 does not exist or your board is not connected
at processing.app.debug.BasicUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(BasicUploader.java:159)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1678)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1620)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1592)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2607)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

However the gawk commands in his makefile are different. 

What I found in my makefile is-

$(GAWK) ' BEGIN{FS=" ";} { $$1= ""; print}' tmp.mem > out.mem

I'm not really familiar with the syntax, but the error would indicate, I'm going through something similar to what he had. 

He made the following change to the gawk command:

OLD:
$(GAWK) ' BEGIN{FS=" ";} { $1= ""; print $0 > "out.mem" } ' tmp.mem

NEW:
./gawk ' BEGIN{FS=" ";} { $1= ""; print $0 > out.mem} ' tmp.mem

If you look carefully, my makefile has a slightly different command. Can you guys help with what I should change the gawk command to to prevent the redirection that Thxe was experiencing? Thanks!

There are a couple of directories that have the cygwin tools in them, but it is not named the cygwin directory... 

The thing is that I know I worked through all of these issues that you are having... I also cleaned up the multiple cygwin directories, I'm pretty sure I did all of that when I changed ZAP idea to DesignLab. So the first release of DesignLab should have all of the corrections AND, more importantly, I included support for the AVR8. It wasn't until a later DesignLab release that I was afraid it would cause confusion for people...

So let me take a look and see if I can find a better release for you.

Jack.

Ok, so after doing some digging.

It looks like I never pulled AVR8 support into the first version of DesignLab, the last release I made with the AVR8 was ZAP 2.3.0 on 2014.3.25. I looked at the commits and it appears that I did make fixes for the sync_with_child errors, and indeed, I can use ZAP 2.3.0 just fine without any errors...

Can you verify you are using ZAP 2.3.0?

Jack.

Archived