Pac-Man's game play was a stark and refreshing contrast to the space aged shoot'em ups that were popular at the time. Pac-mania became a phenomenon and video games' first mascot was met with an insatiable demand.
- You control Pac-Man through the maze with the joystick.
- You must eat every dot and power pellet to advance to the next stage.
- You must avoid contact with the ghosts while they are their normal color.
- If you eat an power pellet, the ghosts will turn blue, and you may eat them for bonus points until they turn back to their normal color.
- Ghosts travel at half speed through the side escape tunnels. Use them to get away.
- A bonus item will appear below the ghost pen twice per stage for extra points.
Platform — NAMCO 8-bit PCB
CPU — Z80A at 3.072 MHz
ROM — 16K in four, 4K chips
RAM — ~2K
Display — Raster
Orientation — Vertical
Resolution — 224x288
Colors — 16
Attributes — Eight 16x16 hardware sprites
Refresh rate — 60.61 Hz
Sound — Monophonic 3-voice waveform sound generator chip
Controls — One 4-way leaf joystick, 1P/2P buttons
Models — Upright, and Cocktail
Source Code URL: Github