Gregg

Newbie Programming 3 Questions

Hi all,

Questions at the bottom of the post....

I've got a Papilio Pro which I'm running on an Unbuntu 16.04 64 bit system.

I've installed the 2.5 version of the Papilio Loader. (I know 2.8 is out there - have questions but that's another post).

I'm using the USB -> micro USB cable to connect the Pro to my Linux Box.

When I first powered the Pro up (by plugging it in), LED1 blinked at about once per second. I have read that the Pro

comes with that configuration programmed into the non-volatile memory so I wasn't surprised.

From the web, I downloaded this .bit file:

http://papilio.cc/sketches/Quickstart-Papilio_Pro_LX9-v1.5.bit

Using the papilio loader I loaded the file into the FPGA and observed the results - it worked. I can see the output ascii table.

Also the LED1 blinking stopped (no surprise).

If I then unplug the Pro....and plug it back in, the LED1 starts blinking again.

Question 1: When I download the .bit file to the Pro, I am programming the volatile memory - is that right?

Question 2: If so then the LED1 blinking configuration is in the non-volatile RAM and that gets installed int he Volatile RAM at power up. Do I have that right?

Question 3: Where do I go to read up on how to program the non-volatile RAM?

Thanks

Hi Gregg,

I don't have the Pro, but do have the Papilio One 250 and Papilio Duo.  I use papilio-loader-gui to program them in Linux.  In the lower part of the menu, it has the header 'Operations'.  I currently have 'Scan', 'Erase', 'Write to', and 'Verify' checked.  Underneath 'Write to' there is a drop down menu.  I select 'FPGA' for temporary changes, and 'SPI Flash' if I want it to retain the changes after a power cycle.

Bnusbick,

Many thanks for the pointer. I was wondering HOW I flash the SPI and you've answered that question.

I want to move to the 2.8 loader as soon as I can.