AVR8 Core on Nexys 4 Artix 7 using Xilinx Vivado

pdasilva18

Hi,

I'm new to your platform and am interested in using the AVR8 softcore on a Nexys 4 development board that has a Xilinx Artix 7 FPGA programmed using Vivado. I've tried using the AVR Core from Opencores <https://opencores.org/project,avr_core> but first ran into problems with RAMB4_S8 not being supported past the Xilinx 6 series FPGAs. Then I had timing errors at low speeds of 4MHz and with their JTAG implementation. I noticed you've had quite a success with modifying the core for the Papilio line. Will your implementation work with an Artix 7 through the Vivado IDE? What would I need to modify in the VHDL to get it working?

I'm specifically interested in using avr-gcc to compile C programs and run them on the AVR8 softcore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Patrick

Hello Patrick,

It shouldn't be too hard to compare the datasheet for RAMB4_S8 and compare it to the equivalent thing for the Artix 7 and then make the changes you need to make it work. I had to do that when I made it work for the Spartan 6, it was different memory block between Spartan 3E too. The other thing to figure out is if the tools to load code into BRAM is different between Vivado and ISE... Even if they are, maybe you can just use the ISE tool, data2mem.

Good luck,

Jack.