SPI to initialize TFT

james1095

I've recently been playing with a TFT screen that has a plain RGB dot clock interface and got it working with a couple of the arcade games. I have a few small TFT displays that are capable of interfacing with the same method but they require initializing via the SPI interface to configure them to enable the RGB interface. One uses the SSD2119 chipset and a couple others are various ILI9xxx chipsets, all of which work similarly. Have any of you used one of these displays? I'm looking for a chunk of VHDL (ideally, but Verilog would work in a pinch) that will spit out a series of commands to initialize the display, anyone got something that already works? This seems like the sort of thing that would be out there but I haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

Thanks, I actually came across that link the other day and thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately it's in Verilog but I picked up a ILI9341 based display and figured I'd try to get the example working. Once that's done I can translate it to VHDL and then attempt to modify it for the other displays.

Those TFT controller datasheets have a lot of information but I found it difficult to find good info on just what needs to happen to initialize the display.

• 4 weeks later...

After playing around with this a bit I've decided to translate it to VHDL so it's easier for me to work with. Most of it is pretty straightforward but a couple of the lines I'm not entirely sure what they do. Could one of the resident Verilog experts explain exactly what these two lines of code do? The second one I suspect is assigning cs <= '0' when internalSck is true but I'm not certain.

idle <= &counter;

if (internalSck) cs <= 1'b0;

Perfect, thanks! So I had the second one right, the first one I had no idea but it makes sense now that I see it explained. The problem I've had with this sort of thing is trying to search for explanation I can't just google the line of code because the signal names are arbitrary.

One of these days I should probably learn Verilog too but it's hard enough to be proficient in just one language without taking on a second one.

• 1 year later...