Thomas Hornschuh

Papilio Pro still produced?

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have seen the pro is out of stock, and also can't be preordered. Will it be in produced again or is the product retired?

Regards

Thomas

It's not retired but the SDRAM chip that is used is obsolete. We are looking for replacements which will take a little time...

Jack.

Are there still SDR-SDRAMs on the market?  DDR will be difficult with a soft memory controller, and SRAM is small and expensive...

I'm currently working on a project which implements th RISC-V ISA (see riscv.org) and runs a port of eLua  to this architecture on a Papilio Pro.

It is making great progress, I will post more information here in the forum in the next days. 

I'm already thinking about moving to another board (e.g. Pipistrello, Arty). But in some way I like the PaPro a lot:

• It is "publishing friendly" because I don't need a Xilinx CoreGen generated core to access the DRAM.
  • With ISE a synthesis run for the LX9 usually takes only a few minutes including map, place and route, so it is possible to quick check design changes in Hardware

As long a design fits in the LX9 it is really a convenient platform. And Xilinx has recently announced that they continue supporting the Spartan 6 series because of their success.

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

Yes, it will continue with SDRAM, we have identified an ISSI SDRAM chip to use instead but there is still some work to be done to verify before we do the next run of boards. I'm also seeing if I can find a supply of the current SDRAM chips to do one more run of the Papilio Pro with the current chip.

Jack.

On 20/3/2017 at 1:49 PM, Jack Gassett said:

Hello Thomas,

Yes, it will continue with SDRAM, we have identified an ISSI SDRAM chip to use instead but there is still some work to be done to verify before we do the next run of boards. I'm also seeing if I can find a supply of the current SDRAM chips to do one more run of the Papilio Pro with the current chip.

Jack.

So, where can I buy it now?