thefloe

Getting PWM to work

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

First of all: I started working with my Papilio Pro again and I really like how things developed here! I really like the DesignLab and how easy it easy to connect things to your own blocks! Thanks.

To verify some custom hardware connected to the board I need to create some square wave signal with some MHz. As neither analogWrite nor the PWM functions in the Timer class are working / present I tried writing to the registers directly (inspired by some forum post here) also does not toggle the PIN (WB12):

#include "register.h" #define FREQUENCY 100000#define SW1  WB12void setup(){  pinMode(SW1, OUTPUT);  pinModePPS(SW1, HIGH);  outputPinForFunction(SW1, IOPIN_TIMER0_OC);  TMR0CNT = 0;  TMR0CMP = (CLK_FREQ / FREQUENCY) - 1;  TMR0CTL = _BV(TCTLENA)|_BV(TCTLDIR)|_BV(TCTLCCM);  TMR0PWMLOW(0) = 0;  TMR0PWMHIGH(0) = 200;  TMR0PWMCTL(0) = 1;} 

But for now the pin stays low...

Hello, it looks like I need to make a tutorial for using PWM in DesignLab. I will try to make one this afternoon.

Jack.

In the meantime, there is a PWM in the Robot_Control_Library and an example of using it in the ColorCrossFader sketch in that library. 

Jack.

Hi Jack,

Thank you, got everything working for PWM (actually I just needed it to generate signals to verify other parts of the VHDL design).

Tobias

Excellent, I'm glad to hear that. By the way, there is a wave form generator under the Benchy section that you might find useful too.

Jack.