Unknown Papilio Board

briano

Hi,

I have just received a Papilio Duo and have been installing the software required.

Opened the Papilio_DUO_QuickStart example project, plugged in the board, checked the com port in Control Panel - only one shown - com7, selected the board type - Papilio FPGA Boards -> Papilio DUO FPGA 512kb - ZPUino.

Tried to Load Circuit, but got the following error:

------------------------

Programming to SPI Flash

Using devlist.txt

Invalid chain position 0, position must be less than 0, (but not less than 0).

Unknown Papilio Board

Using devlist.txt

USB transactions: Write 2 read 1 retries 0

Invalid chain position 0, position must be less than 0, (but not less than 0).

IOException: Cannot open file

-------------------------

I am using Windows 8.1. The USB drivers appeared to have installed correctly during installation.

Any thoughts on where I should start with this?

If you are seeing the Papilio DUO device show up in the Windows device manager then this error indicates a problem between the USB chip and the FPGA. Testing at the factory should have prevented this...

Do you see the User LED flashing? Is there any ASCII output on the serial port? This would indicate that the board passed the test plan at the factory.

Either way, send us an email at support@gadgetfactory.net with your current shipping address, where you purchased the board, and a link to this discussion and we will get you a replacement right away.

Jack.

Hi All,

A few answers to questions raised:

- No spaces in my windows username

- Yes the Papilio Duo appears in the Control Panel when I power it up.

- Yes, when I start the board the user led flashes and the expected ASCII output is sent out through com 7. So it would seem it was able to be programmed at the factory.

- Interesting about the 2 serial ports - the video tutorial for the Duo on the website I was following at the time clearly only shows one serial port appearing in the control panel, so I decided this wasn't an issue.

I had seen posts on the forum mentioning two USB ports and wondered why I would see two ports when I only have one port physically connected? Does the duo have two usb drivers associated with the single FPGA usb connector interface?

Hi Jack, I will send you a separate email later on after I get home and run some sanity checks based on these comments.

Nice to see multiple responses so quickly.

Regards,

Brian

Hi, Although I got the Papilio Duo several months ago (I participated in KickStart crowdfunding), I left it apart for a time  (I was very busy that time).

So, today I I am testing it and learnig DesignLab 1.0.5.

I am using WIN8.1, the serial port seems OK (COMM10, only one) and the green LED is blinking, no serial port traffic and, as Briano, I got the error:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Programming to SPI Flash
Using devlist.txt
Invalid chain position 0, position must be less than 0 (but not less than 0).
Unknown Papilio Board
Using devlist.txt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, the message "position must be less than 0 (but not less than 0)" is rather curious.

I hope that the problem consists in a bug or misconfiguration, and not in a card failure.

Sincerely, Francisco

Hello Francisco,

That "Cannot open file" error is strange...

Just to make sure that it is not a software issue can you please take a look at this tutorial for the Papilio DUO and make sure you are doing all the steps?

http://gadgetfactory.net/learn/2015/01/14/designlab-quickstart-duo-fpga/

Thanks,

Jack.

Yeah, that's a great error message :)  It just means that it can't find any JTAG device connected to the FTDI chip you are addressing.  Typical causes for this error message are that you are communicating with the wrong FTDI chip (for instance if you have multiple FTDI chips connected to the computer), or you are talking to the wrong port of the FTDI chip (the one on the Papilio board has two ports) or there is a connection problem between the FTDI chip and the FPGA (i.e. a bad board).

It reminds me of a time long long ago (>20 years ago) when I used some TI software for ASIC design.  The error message I got was "Sh*t, something that wasn't supposed to happen happened"

Magnus

Jack, fortunately, it should be a misconfiguration problem (USB makes funny things in my computer with WIN 8.1), because I repeat the whole process and it WORKS!!!

Now I have the four yellow LEDS of the LED wing blinking.

I will continue with the exmples.

Thank you, Francisco

• 2 months later...

I have almost the exact same problem, so I am posting here rather than starting a duplicate thread. I got my DUO in the mail today. I installed the DesignLab software, and connected to the FPGA USB port. The power light is on, and the LED is blinking. I made sure that the correct port (from Device Manager) was selected, as well as the correct board. However, when I press "Load Circuit" for the "Papilio_DUO_QuickStart", I get the exact same error message as the original poster in this thread (Briano):

Programming to SPI Flash
Using devlist.txt
Unknown Papilio Board
Using devlist.txt

As for the serial monitor, if I check it right away after (uninstalling and then re-) installing the DesignLab software, I see some output. Here are some example lines:

45, dec: 45, hex: 2D, oct: 55, bin: 101101
46, dec: 46, hex: 2E, oct: 56, bin: 101110
47, dec: 47, hex: 2F, oct: 57, bin: 101111
48, dec: 48, hex: 30, oct: 60, bin: 110000

However, as soon as I trigger this unfortunate "chain position 0" error, there is no longer anything on the serial monitor.

I am willing to troubleshoot, but I feel like I have tried everything I can think of, as a novice hobbyist. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software several times. I have verified that my USB cable is working, and I have tried multiple USB ports on my laptop. FYI, I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

As far as soldering issues, it is hard for me to say, without a microscope. I don't feel any unusually hot areas on the board, although the FT2232 chip is a bit warm.

I also tried connecting through the AVR (after moving the jumper). Here is what I get from the serial monitor:
Papilio DUO AVR Serial Port - Arduino compatible ATmega32U4
V1.0
I tried to upload the "Papilio_DUO_QuickStart" program using this connection, and it appears to have worked, since it says "finished uploading", and the serial monitor again shows the ascii output. Of course, this doesnt solve my FPGA problems...

I suppose I could try to see if things work better using the Xilinx ISE Webpack, but frankly it requires an awful lot of disk space... Do you think it is worth a try?

What should I do to get this working?

Thanks,
- Joe

Hello Joe,

It looks like your board passed the factory tests and was able to be programmed with the default bit file. But something has happened after it left the factory, maybe there was a solder joint that was weak or something...

The error message you are getting is usually something that needs a physical repair and is not something with the drivers etc. 

If you can send us an email to support@gadgetfactory.net along with a link to this forum thread and your current mailing address we will send you a replacement board right away.

Sorry for the hassle,

Jack.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem as the original poster. I tried one other experiment last night: I installed DesignLab on a Linux machine. I was able to successfully upload the QuickStart FPGA circuit and upload the sketch. To convince myself that I was able to do something I ran the following simple sketch on the FPGA side:

#define circuit ZPUino_Vanilla

void setup()
{
  delay(5000);
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600); 
  Serial.println("HELLO WORLD"); 
}

void loop()
{
  delay(500);
  Serial.println("HIGH");
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
  delay(500);
  Serial.println("LOW");
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);
}

So, that at least indicates that the Papilio DUO board is healthy. I would love to get all of this working on my Windows machine. Just in case this is important, my Windows box is running Windows 10. Might that have something to do with this problem?

-Richard

do you have the classic computing shield ?

if so, you should see if jack can send you the duo test bed zip i sent him. 

basically you click a batch file and choose and option and it loads a bitfile to it for you.

its good for a basic test since everything is scripted to run from the same directory.

i would post it here for you but i am miles away from home.

do you have the classic computing shield ?

if so, you should see if jack can send you the duo test bed zip i sent him. 

basically you click a batch file and choose and option and it loads a bitfile to it for you.

its good for a basic test since everything is scripted to run from the same directory.

i would post it here for you but i am miles away from home.

Yes, I do. I'll PM him about that. Thanks!

Thanks, Felix!

For reasons that completely elude me, the Duo is working on my Windows machine as well now. The only thing I can think of is that I rebooted the machine at some point.

I'll try out the computing shield test bed while I'm at it. What peripherals do I need to have connected to it?

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I finally started to work with my board but when trying to follow the basic tutorial I can not program the FPGA:

Programming to SPI Flash
Unknown Papilio Board

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Using devlist.txt
readusb: Timeout readusb
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'io_exception'

The AVR side seems to be fine, I was able to upload a sketch and can see the expected output (LED blinking and Hello World on the serial console)

EDIT:
I used the batch file provided by Felix and I get the following results:

For "Detect Papilio":
JTAG chainpos: 0 Device IDCODE = 0x24001093    DESC: XC6SLX9

For "Load Factory Bitfile":
Using devlist.txt
readusb: Timeout readusb
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'io_exeption'

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information

Looking into the devlist. txt I can see that the IDCODE 0x24001093 is not in there.
It seems to me that there is a biterror on the MS byte.

Is there any chance to debug this further or do I have another defect board?

Thanks a lot,
             Martin

what version of windows are you on? are you running as admin or user?

JTAG chainpos: 0 Device IDCODE = 0x24001093    DESC: XC6SLX9

is the right detection. (there is internal list and external list)

do you have a bunch of ftdi devices?

i would try removing the ftdi drivers using the driver cleaning tool, reboot, and reinstall the papilio drivers.

and/or a different usb port.

Hi Felix, Jack,

thanks a lot for your quick answers, appreciate it!

I followed the instructions from Felix and removed the driver using the CDM Uninstaller. This laptop is used in combination with different lab hardware and therefore had some FTDI drivers installed.

After reboot and reinstalling DesignLab (and driver) and connecting the Papilio Duo board it shows that no driver can be installed for Papilio Duo.

I'm currently installing ISE and DesignLab on a second laptop (both laptops running Windows7 64bit and I have a admin account). This laptop has been used with the logicsniffer.

I will update this post once I have results from the second laptop.

Update:

The FPGA part is working perfectly fine when using the 2nd laptop. (Haven't tested the AVR but don't expect any issues there).

Solution:

In my case it seem to be messed up FTDI drivers. I'll try again to uninstall all of them and then reinstall the Papilio DUO driver.

Thanks again for the quick help!

Martin

Note: This board has not been replaced, it's the original board that has been delivered end of March this year.

Hi Felix,

hopefully you can help me:

After removing all FTDI related driver from my system I'm trying to install DesignLab buit during driver installation I get the following error:

The status of Gadget Factory CDM Driver Package - Bus/D2XX Driver and Gadget Factory CDM Driver Package are reported as "Install failed".

I'm currently stuck, is there any debug telling me why the driver was not installed?

Thanks,

Martin