N-Core CPU

OzieGamma

Hah, forget about ZPUino multi-core... at least in common multi-core sense. It's a long road (if even possible) to get there, due to several reasons:

a ) Due to performance issues, the current ZPUino (extreme core) needs a dedicated stack. So all cores will never actually see the same memory, so they cannot behave as SMP.

b ) You need a proper interrupt router, and a proper reset controller, as well as software support.

c ) There are no memory barriers, nor atomic operations. And no bus-locking mechanism.

XTC (XThunderCore) will support SMP, but it's currently under development. It's bigger than ZPU (almost 2x size with medium support like traps, single clock shifter, user/supervisor mode and other modern things [MMU is not ready yet, nor dcache]), but will surely fit nicely on a S6LX25 or larger.

Thanks for the answers !

I was planning on using my own CPU (I don't care about performance, my challenge is to write a small kernel for multi-core CPUs). And was planning to use hardware message passing which shouldn't take to much space. (About 2 queues * 32 bits/word * 128 words/queue = 1KB of RAM + some logic for interrupts).

OzieGamma

It seems possible to get a usable CPU down to a bit below 10% of this FPGA.  There's a 442-LUT version of ZPU, for example.  (My own CPU in progress is 549 LUTs at last count -- just a hair under 10%, but it's 16 bit, and incomplete.)  ZPUino's size includes a higher-performance implementation of ZPU, plus various peripherals.  You won't need the performance, and you won't need to duplicate the peripherals for each CPU core, and that should save you some space.

OTOH, one can always be surprised by how much space things take up.

What usually takes more space are multiplexers (and incomplete 2^N muxers). And they are so easily declared, that most people forget about that fact.

On the other aspect, if you're doing a multi-core, you are surely doing it for performance, so no much sense in using the smaller ZPU, because none of the optional instructions are in HDL (are emulated in firmware).

Archived