first time use and have an error

Puskyer

Received my Papilio DUO today and trying to see how it works.. tried on Windows 7 and Ubuntu can't seem to send a sketch to the board??

get the following error when trying to upload Paplilio_DUO_QuickStart sketch..

Executing  /media/archive/workingfolder/papilio/DesignLab-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-size -A /tmp/build1147978442678594716.tmp/Papilio_DUO_QuickStart.cpp.hex

Binary sketch size: 6,278 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum) - 21% used
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected.  If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.
at processing.app.debug.BasicUploader.waitForUploadPort(BasicUploader.java:266)
at processing.app.debug.BasicUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(BasicUploader.java:97)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1681)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1623)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1595)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2673)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

system is 

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

Cheers,
Pasquale

OK tried what it says and held the reset switch while uploading.. Error has changed..

Found programmer: Id = "Papilio"; type = l
    Software Version = P.a; Hardware Version = p.i
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
at processing.app.debug.BasicUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(BasicUploader.java:184)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1681)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1623)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1595)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2673)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

ok figured part of it out, I connected both USB connectors, set up the udev rules and I can now speak to the board via FPGA port.

but still buttons and led's wing not working?? sill get an error when trying to upload...

sw1 is towards the header on the edge.

Hello Puskyer,

Here is a page with lots of getting started information for the DUO.

http://www.papilio.cc/index.php?n=Papilio.DUOStart

These two tutorials especially are meant to get you up and running with the FPGA and AVR side of things:

http://gadgetfactory.net/learn/2015/01/14/designlab-quickstart-duo-fpga/

http://gadgetfactory.net/learn/2015/01/15/designlab-quickstart-duo-avr/

I can also make an example for you, just let me know what you are trying to do.

Thanks,

Jack.

• 2 months later...

Small design flow in the acrylic case, just tried to put it on and one of the screws covers two of the pins. If I were to put a wing on the pins would short.. Will have to look at it closer tomorrow. Maybe I am putting it together wrong?

Hello Puskyer,

Yes, I think the idea is to take out the third screw if you are going to use the case with a Shield.

Having said that, there is a lot of unhappiness with the case design. Os1r1s is working on an injection molded design that will hopefully be better. If he can work out all the details and the quality is better we will be happy to trade out the cases for you.

Jack.

Hello Puskyer,

Yes, I think the idea is to take out the third screw if you are going to use the case with a Shield.

Having said that, there is a lot of unhappiness with the case design. Os1r1s is working on an injection molded design that will hopefully be better. If he can work out all the details and the quality is better we will be happy to trade out the cases for you.

Jack.

Hi Jack, fixed it, used a file to shave of enough of the screw head to make it fit and not touch while still holding things together..

although when the new case comes out I maybe interested in some type of trade or upgrade. 

still have not had time to play with the duo am hopping to have more time during my holidays, but I am following the discussion on all the things that are being created and look forward to doing something.. I was never able to get my Ohio Scientific based 6502 working, maybe I will have better luck with the DUO..

CHeers and great work...

Archived