Suggestion for very basic tutorials illustrating complete workflow

ralph

Jack

maybe these exist, but I didn't find them already. How about a couple of really basic "get started" tutorials, along these lines:

(1) Show how to use DesignLab to achieve the following very simple example using the Papilio Duo: 

Program the AVR side to sit in a loop outputting a pulse once per second AND in the same design

Program the FPGA side to take those pulses, and feed them through a divide by 2 circuit, and route the output to a LED

This would be enough to show people the design flow of putting all the basic elements together and loading them into the Duo.

They can use this as a template to then work on something more ambitious.

(2) Similar to (1) but using the Logic Shield and e.g. programming the FPGA to feed the input pulses to a counter and route its output to some LEDs.

This would be the same kind of example for using the logic shield.

Finally, one last comment. It's almost impossible to find stuff in videos. Could we have text and pictures please?

Thanks!

Ralph

Hello Ralph,

Here is a series of getting started videos:

http://www.papilio.cc/index.php?n=Papilio.DUOStart

And here are two more tutorials:

http://gadgetfactory.net/learn/2015/01/14/designlab-quickstart-duo-fpga/

http://gadgetfactory.net/learn/2015/01/15/designlab-quickstart-duo-avr/

Also, if you look at file/examples/Gameduino you will find some good examples of the AVR and FPGA working together.

I'm working on a 640x480 VGA graphics adapter library that uses DMA at the moment. Once I finish that up I will try to make these tutorials that you suggest. :)

Thank you,

Jack.

Thank you, I hope you enjoy the Papilio DUO.

Also, I just noticed that you requested text and pictures instead of just videos. That is the goal, all tutorials at learn.gadgetfactory.net start as a video and then are broken down to a full tutorial with text and pictures. So any of the videos listed above will get the tutorial treatment, but its a little time consuming to convert the videos to tutorials and I have so many requests right now that I'm just getting the videos done to keep up. I'll either circle back later and convert to tutorial's or try to find some help to do the conversion.

Thanks!

Jack.

Hi Jack,

My Papilio DUO and LogiStart Shield arrived today - following my backing them on KS several months ago. Congratulations on getting this excellent new concept to market. The idea of a 100MHz 32bit soft-core that executes Arduino sketches is brilliant. Even better is the ability to design custom hardware around that soft-core.

I have had several years of Arduino, and moved onto designing and programming instrumentation based around ARM microcontrollers.

Now, at last, I have the tools and incentive to tackle FPGAs,  - easing into them slowly from the familiarity of the Arduino IDE with DesignLab.  Here's a really innovative product that can only serve to the democratisation of FPGA technology - to the hobbyists and enthusiasts.

I'm looking forward to following the introductory videos, and familarising myself with this great product.

Pleased I played a small part in making this venture happen.

regards

Ken

London

Ken,

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. It really helps keep me motivated when I start to hit a brick wall. I've been struggling all week to get Alvie's DMA based 640x480 VGA adapter to work with the Papilio DUO. I was started to get frustrated when I read your post. It gave me a bit of a boost and I am happy to say that the new VGA adapter is now working on the DUO! Look for it in the next release of DesignLab, early next week.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for backing the DUO.

Jack.

Hello Ralph,

I wasn't able to make a tutorial yet, but I did put together an example project to do what you are requesting. Please take a look, it uses one of the stock Xilinx counter primitives to do the dividing. I've made a nicer one for DesignLab but I need to make another release before it will be available so I put this example together for you so you have something right now.

Jack. 

Divider_Example-150208a.zip

Thanks Jack, that's much appreciated. If you look at my "Almost working" post in this forum, you'll see I managed after a bit of head scratching to get a counter running on the AVR displaying on the Logic Start Shield after piping the data through the FPGA (as a test). Now I'll compare my idea to yours...

Archived