New ongoing great project on Papilio Duo - complete Implementation of different Classic Computers (e.g. ATARI 8/16Bit, C64, Amiga)

andymanone

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to download the bit file to the board by replacing the one in the example project but it would help if this was in design studio format. It runs on my computer shield. I can type in a simple BASIC program and run it but I am having trouble getting the file selection to work to run any carts. Nothing shows up in the quick select or system menu. I used the bit file linked below. I have the duo with 2MB and I think these are built for the 512KB version, would that make a difference?

http://www.scrameta.net/autobuild/20150517/papilioduo/build_NTSC_VGA_CS/papilioduo.bit

Two thoughts on what it could be.

The pins are shared so you need to put the avr pins in high impedance. There is a sketch listed earlier in this thread.

You put .atr,.xex and .car files under atari800/user/? The .car files are shown only in the cart selector iirc.

I'm not sure how to make ise build to design lab format from the command line?

2MB won't make a difference I think, though I should do a build for that, to allow 1MB ext ram.

OK I loaded the code from message #44 (link below) and that helped the responsiveness of the keyboard improved but did not affect the choose file for the cart selection. I put the files in the atari800/user directory. Since the system boots so it must be able to read the files from the card but for some reason the file selector is not working.

http://forum.gadgetfactory.net/index.php?/topic/2192-new-ongoing-great-project-on-papilio-duo-complete-implementation-of-different-classic-computers-eg-atari-816bit-c64-amiga/page-5#entry15856

Can you show me the directory listing of atari800/user?

I think perhaps there are some files in there that have complex names that crash it somehow. Perhaps just put in two files by themselves in that dir:

test.atr

test.car

I programmed the core version you are using to my papilio duo and its working fine. So its not a simple bad build.

Does the atari memory test run reliably?

Memory test seems OK. Originally only had the atari800 stuff on there but I was trying the acorn and put that stuff on it also. Pulled acron stuff off again and reformatting didn't help. Tried sticking things in all levels of the directory structure just to make sure it wasn't looking somewhere else, that didn't help. Not sure how to paste images in this forum for screenshots. Says I cannot post that kind of file extension for both png and jpg.

/cygdrive/l
$ ls -R
.:
atari800

./atari800:
rom  user

./atari800/rom:
ATARIBAS.ROM  ATARIOSB.ROM  ATARIXL.ROM

./atari800/user:
test.atr  test.car

@ablic: I don't know what else to suggest:( Possibly a fault on the sd card or the board.

@felix: Here are a few fun pd games, so you can include some:

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2441

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1990

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=7075

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=7061

There are of course many more!

I think it is ok to distribute altirra basic and altirra os. The replacements Avery made for http://www.virtualdub.org/altirra.html

uploaded the PAL bitfile

initially had the same issues as jack with the keyboard.

uploaded that sketch to the AVR and it did the trick. (by far the most pain in the butt part of the process)

formatted my SD card to FAT32 (16GB SanDisk)

made the directory 

atari800\rom

atari800\user

copied the files into their proper places..

waited for it to boot.. hit F11 (Quick Select),  chose JSW, it rebooted and ran JSW (took a few secs).

i hit F6 (Start)

Played JSW

*SUCCESS*

the altirra roms are internal to the binary.. so unless they are in the source code (which i didnt check)..

i ended up just using the ones from googleing.

the most useful part of that pdf you posted is this page:

post-29519-0-28745900-1432247641_thumb.p

I can't post an image of the SD card since it was the one from my cellphone and even deleted 

files are recoverable.. dont need you guys seeing pictures of my wife etc. besides a 16 GB image

is a bit much for this project..

The only option is to find a smaller new SD Card, make an image and compress that.

no idea when i get around to buying one though.  If someone else wants to post the image i can walk them

through it. its easy enough to do.

// F

I've had the same success, once uploading the Arduino sketch it fixes input perfectly. My problem is that I don't have an Atari compatible joystick! D'oh.

I'm downloading Processing, and have installed Firmata on the 32u4. A few test sketches show I don't need a joystick if the AVR can pretend to be one. It's just a case of putting that into practice.

Edit: Well, it's bonkers but Firmata works a treat. I have a simple Processing App working that converts WASF IOP into ULDR Fire 1, Fire 2, Select.

WASF? or did you mean WASD.

that is a good interim solution actually. as long as you dont need the WASD keys..

Haha, yes, I meant WASD! And it binds to the keys on my desktop PC keyboard rather than those on the PS2 keyboard- I'm not sure hijacking the PS2 keys would be easy but it would be handy.

I wonder if I can use the onboard UP/LEFT/RIGHT/DOWN/RESET buttons though.

i was just going to wire up a joystick using arcade parts, if i can every figure out what kind of case to use.

or just buy a NoS one from eBay

the ps/2 keyboard implementation is not complete so i am not sure whats possible or not.

it doesn't report numlock/capslock status which is why i didnt suggest to use the numpad

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I ported the FPGA64 project originally intended for the C-one to the Papilio Duo 512kb.

To load games i use the uno2iec project, which works as long as games don't use a turbo loader.

Working : both joysticks, ps/2 keyboard (but not completely stable), SID (without filters for now), video (My display only shows 60 Hz).

Not working: Some games crash

Some playable titles: Giana Sisters, Boulderdash, Bubble Bobble

Since the license on the FPGA64 prohibits me from sharing the source, I can't release it now, I'm trying to get permission from the original author. 

If people are interested, I can post the bit file without breaking the license I believe.

Kind regards, Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Pooyan,

Awesome! Great work. :) Hopefully you can get permission to share with the community. I'd love to check out a bitfile, is it targeting the Papilio DUO 512K and Classic Computing Shield?

Also, Alvie added filters to the version of the C64 SID chip that we have available. 

Jack.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jack,

I took the SID implementation of the 1541 ultimate, and added that to the project, that implementation has filters. But I would like to have a look at the implementation that Alvie created to compare the two.

The implementation is indeed targeted to the Papilio DUO 512K and the Classic Computing Shield, and some Atari style joysticks I had lying around since the 80's. 

When I finish the frame buffer that converts 50Hz pal the 60Hz VGA I'll create a bit file, and a version of Uno2IEC (1541 emulater) that is pre-configured to work on the board so you can test the setup yourself.

Kind regards, Paul

Archived