Papilio DUO - Classic Computing Shield

Jack Gassett

I always wanted to build my first computer http://oldcomputers.net/osi-600.html so I look forward to this new Papilio duo classic computing shield..

I have been playing with this when I have had time but still not working..

http://searle.hostei.com/grant/uk101FPGA/

Cant wait to get it "Papilio DUO - Drag and Drop FPGA Circuit Lab for Makers by Jack Gassett"

Pasquale

You might also want to look at Will's 'SocZ80'. That's got all the VHDL and bits plus a bit file so you can just drop it onto the Papilio Pro and then fiddle with it.

They do seem to grow however. I think I'm going to have to make a case for my SocZ80 now it's got ethernet, SD card and a few other bits dangling off it and is beginning to look more like a jellyfish 8)

Alan

You might also want to look at Will's 'SocZ80'. That's got all the VHDL and bits plus a bit file so you can just drop it onto the Papilio Pro and then fiddle with it.

They do seem to grow however. I think I'm going to have to make a case for my SocZ80 now it's got ethernet, SD card and a few other bits dangling off it and is beginning to look more like a jellyfish 8)

Alan

Thanks, found it and ran it.. look great.. now i have a reference to get my 6502 one working.

I wired up an SD card and second FTDI port, the second serial works great under UZI but i am not sure if the SD is working did not try yet. Will look at adding Ethernet as i learn more..

it builds under my Xilinx IDE setup so i can now compare with my 6502 files and see why it does not work.

cheers,

The SD only works in UZI and is a bit iffy as its driving it in SPI mode  (1,1) not (0,0) as it should. I've added support for other SPI modes to the spimaster VHDL but only so far tested the 0,0 with ethernet. Once its a bit more tidied up I'll put up a new version of the 'classic' build with CP/M 3.x including SD support, ethernet SPI port etc

That sounds great, I had shelved my Papilio pro for a while, just did not have the time... so I am hoping to get back into it and learn more about vhdl programming.

If you need help testing let me know and I will tray and help, I am new at this so I can at least test and learn..

Cheers,

Pasquale

• 2 years later...

Hi @Jack Gassett,

I'm running Pacman.bit built from the current git on my DUO/computing shield and the VGA output is working great, but there's no sound output from either jack.  Should sound be working?  I noticed that the git log comments say that pacman/DUO are untested.  Perhaps I can help with testing as I learn the platform.

My joystick hasn't come in yet so I can't confirm a successful play, but it certainly looks like it's running.  I found the coin slot/ player select buttons are mapped to the existing push buttons...

Skip

Hi Jack,

I'm using ROMVault-PapilioEdition built from the current git sources.  I've tried both the .bit file that comes with ROMVault-PapilioEdition and one that I built from the current Papilio-Arcade sources from git.  No sound from either .bit file.

Skip

Hi Jack,

NEVERMIND !!  I think I've found my problem.  I had the SW1 in the UP position.  I changed it to down and now I get sound!  I was also expecting sound on the opening screen, but apparently there's only sound once game play starts.

Skip

22 hours ago, Skip said:

Hi Jack,

NEVERMIND !!  I think I've found my problem.  I had the SW1 in the UP position.  I changed it to down and now I get sound!  I was also expecting sound on the opening screen, but apparently there's only sound once game play starts.

Skip

iirc, pacman had no sound in "attract mode" but i am not 100% sure.  

one of the other games has no sound at all also.  iirc something to do missing sound cpu (lack of resources i think). would have to check emails from 2014.

1 hour ago, Jack Gassett said:

Ah, excellent! Glad you got it worked out. :) I was actually going to dig into this but then I got sidetracked working on an update for DesignLab and the RetroCade.

I was so excited hearing sound for the first time I didn't try to reproduce the issue before I reported back.  Later I changed SW1 to UP and I still got sound so I'm not sure what the problem was.  My joystick should come today so I hope to actually play PACMAN tonight!

Thanks for the amazing product and seeding a great community of helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly people!

Skip

Archived