VGA demo programs - some don't work

Dan Roganti

Hello All,

I just bought the Papilio Pro board with the arcade mega wing. I have the ZPUino loaded into my new Papilio Pro. And the ZAP IDE tool. 

All of it works great !

I used this bit file

zpuino-1.0-PapilioPro-S6LX9-Hyperion-HQVGA-Arcade-MegaWing.bit

I tried several of the VGA demos, but I could only get one of them to work, the one called "Wing_VGA8" from the 'examples' menu under Papilio Schematic Library.

The other test programs from this webpage, http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Papilio.VGAWingIntroduction , don't seem to work. The very basic one called, "Hello World VGA" and the other called, "Color Bar".  I can see the monitor sync properly to 800x600 72hz when I power up the Papilio Pro board, but I don't get any video from these test programs. It does mention on there that it's supposed to run on the ZPUino with the arcade mega wing board.

[edit]

I just tried the Game of Life program that was posted to this forum, at this link http://forum.gadgetfactory.net/index.php?/topic/1605-game-of-life-vga/

I have the same problem with this one too. There's wasn't that much description in the zip file, so I suspected it would work with the arcade mega wing.

[/edit]

Could there be a library problem with those two programs. I'm using ZAP 2.3.0

thanks,

Dan

[update]

I just noticed that there's additional example programs in the ZAP IDE for the ZPUino. There were several examples, including another version of the 'Hello World' program in there. At first I though it was meant only for the Arduino, since these were not listed under the 'Papilio Schematic Library' sketches. They were instead under a generic menu called 'VGA' menu - so it was not apparent these were meant for the ZPUino. But it seems all of these sketches are meant for the ZPUino just as the Arduino, but they run faster with the ZPUino.

I see there's several examples in that menu, Bricks, Color Bar, Hello Lorld, load Image and Zetris. I can get all of them to work except for Zetris. I'm not sure why yet. The comments in that program mention that I can use the same Hyperion bit file with the arcade megawing, just as with the other examples in that menu. 

Would anyone have some suggestions  ?

Regarding the examples on this link

http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Papilio.VGAWingIntroduction

It seems these are incomplete when comparing to the code in the same examples inside the ZAP IDE.

This might explain why I couldn't them to work before.

thanks

Dan

Jack,

I tried all of these sketch examples from the ZAP IDE again tonight to see if I missed anything - Bricks, Color Bar, Hello World, Load Image and Zetris. All of them worked fine except for Zetris still. When I upload Zetris all I get is a blank screen. But there's one thing that was different, once it was done uploading, the screen still had the same display from the previous example. See with the other sketches that work ok, the board would automatically start running once it was done uploading and display the graphics from the current sketch immediately on the screen. I never had to power cycle the board.

In the case with Zetris, since I ran the Load Image example previously, the "PapilioImage.dat" image from that example was still on the screen. This happens even though it says "Done Uploading" on the ZAP IDE. So then I figured I should power cycle the board - via the usb cable - I can still see the monitor syncing to 800x600 72hz once the FPGA bit image is loaded. But the screen was entirely blank still.

I'm using ZAP IDE v2.3.0 and I still have that same bit file loaded from my first post.

Dan

Archived