The next generation Papilio - help me shape it.

Jack Gassett

Ok, I think this design is pretty much completed...

I like to sit on something like this and not think about it for a week before submitting it for manufacturing... By not thinking about it the subconscious will mull it over and I've often had really important changes occur to me out of the blue!

I'm super anxious to get the ball rolling on this design though, we will see how long I can hold out. :)

But it is a horrible feeling when you submit your design right away and then 3 days later your subconscious starts screaming at you and you realize it is too late to make a really exciting change to the design...

Jack.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jack,

I did a check on the ATmega32U4 pins allocated on the Leonardo versus the Papilio DUO, and most pins are differently connected.

I don't know if this is intentionally or not.

If you would like to preserve the Leonardo functionality, maybe better to relocate the pins.

The analog pins are easy, as they are just in reverse direction.

The digital/PWM/led pins might need a check to maintain the JTAG  connections.

-Dan

PCB connector pin on Papilio DUO AVR pin on Leonardo AVR pin on Papilio DUO 13 PC7 PB1 12 PD6 PB3 11 PB7 PB2 10 PB6 PB0 9 PB5 PB7 8 PB4 PD0       7 PE6 PD1 6 PD7 PD4 5 PC6 PD6 4 PD4 PD7 3 PD0 PB4 2 PD1 PB5 1/TX0 PD3 PD3 0/RX0 PD2 PD2       14  - PB6 15  - PC6 16  - PC7       A0 PF7 PF0 A1 PF6 PF1 A2 PF5 PF4 A3 PF4 PF5 A4 PF1 PF6 A5 PF0 PF7       led PB0 PB1

retrying with the table:

PCB connector pin             AVR pin on                            AVR pin on

on Papilio DUO                    Leonardo                               Papilio DUO

13                                              PC7                                           PB1

12                                              PD6                                           PB3

11                                              PB7                                           PB2

10                                              PB6                                           PB0

9                                                PB5                                           PB7

8                                                PB4                                           PD0

7                                                PE6                                           PD1

6                                                PD7                                          PD4

5                                                PC6                                           PD6

4                                                PD4                                          PD7

3                                                PD0                                          PB4

2                                                PD1                                          PB5

1/TX0                                         PD3                                          PD3

0/RX0                                         PD2                                          PD2

14                                              -                                                PB6

15                                              -                                                PC6

16                                              -                                                PC7

A0                                             PF7                                           PF0

A1                                             PF6                                           PF1

A2                                             PF5                                           PF4

A3                                             PF4                                           PF5

A4                                             PF1                                           PF6

A5                                             PF0                                           PF7

led                                            PB0                                           PB1

Dan,

They are changed on purpose, it would have been crazy trying to route things with the original pinouts.

I maintained the location of the important stuff like rx/tx and I placed SPI in the location of the original arduino pins since a lot of shields depend on that. Otherwise I will make adjustments in the Arduino IDE so the pins look like a normal Arduino to a sketch.

Jack.

That's really cool! 

Why do you need one for the FPGA? It uses the FTDI chip, right?

Also, I think you need two for the Leonardo clone (one for the bootloader and one for sketch I/O).  From http://www.akafugu.jp/posts/blog/2012_06_13-USB-and-serial-ports-on-Arduino-Leonardo/

"To complicate things, the Leonardo and any clone needs two VID/PID combinations: One is for the bootloader (which is a pure serial port) and one is for the actual Leonardo device, the one that runs your sketch after exiting the bootloader (which is a combined serial port and HID device)."

Magnus

mkarlsson: I am to write a VHDL EHCI (perhaps not 100% compatible) controller, to use with a ULPI PHY, so that we can have Full Speed USB inside the FPGA (OTG). This opens a whole lot of possibilities, and we will need an USB ID for it too.

This is a bit delayed, cause my PHY board seems to have some bad connects, so it might take a while before I put it up to work.

It's funny because that was your original idea a few years back, but you never went down that road. Does that affect you / next gen plans in any way, especially if he hits the $30 mark?

Edit: While I already know all this stuff, I find his videos very well presented and I strongly recommend that all novices that may not know much about FPGAs to watch them. There is a treasure trove of information there about how FPGA work, how they are configured and even though he's using Altium, a lot of that applies no mater what EDA suite you use.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dan,

I ordered enough parts to build 10 prototypes and I'm hoping to make around 6 of the prototypes available for people who want a prototype to play around with. 

Otherwise, I'm working towards making a Kickstarter in the next month or so. I have to get a first release of the DesignLab software and make sure the prototypes work as expected, then the Kickstarter.

Jack.

• 1 month later...

Ok everyone, Kickstarter has officially approved the Papilio DUO project! We are setting a go live date for Wednesday the 28th and there is a very special and very limited pricing tier setup for people who followed in the forum. As we get closer I will announce the exact time so you will be the first able to take advantage of this special tier. In the meantime, here is a preview of the Kickstarter project page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13588168/1085391207?token=368484e6

All feedback is appreciated.

Jack.

Hi Jack,

this is excellent news!

I have a new project running, which is related to PLL control of some plasma lamps and ferrite reactors.

It would really help if I could urgently get hold off 2 to 3 Papilio DUO.

So I will closely follow the Kickstarter project.

thanks

-Dan

Hi Jack,

this is excellent news!

I have a new project running, which is related to PLL control of some plasma lamps and ferrite reactors.

It would really help if I could urgently get hold off 2 to 3 Papilio DUO.

So I will closely follow the Kickstarter project.

thanks

-Dan

Dan,

Let me think over the weekend about adding a Prototype tier, I did that for the last Kickstarter and it really took up a lot of time so I wasn't going to do it this time. I also found that the people who ordered it were not the right people to get prototypes, most had no idea what to do with an early version of the board... I would like to get some early boards into the hands of people who will put them through their paces, and I should be getting 20 PCB's in the next couple days... Let me mull this over the weekend, it is a large time commitment to build and test a batch of prototypes... It's also very expensive to order the parts in small quantities, about $75 in parts per board.

Thanks Jack for considering this.

In fact I've been waiting for this PFGA board, which is Arduino-format compatible.

I have designed many boards that have an Arduino Mega as controller plug-in, but the ATmega is getting to limited (speed etc.).

So the new Papilio DUO would be excellent for me and my partner Albert (Alvie knows him also) to start testing and using in June.

Hi Alvie,

yes I'm doing fine, thanks. The purpose is to use the DUO with ZPUino, AND as Arduino connector format.

Our project is more or less waiting for this, though I have to admit that this will involve a big learning curve for what we intend to do with the DUO.

regards,

-Dan

Ok everyone, the Papilio DUO Kickstarter project is set to go live tomorrow morning 5/28/2014 at 6:00AM Mountain Standard Time. There is a special price tier for everyone that helped out in the forum but it is a very limited amount. I'm only posting the go live time here so you should all be able to be the first to get the special deal.

My understanding is that this preview URL will go to the live page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13588168/1085391207?token=368484e6

The go live time across Time Zones should be:

Denver: 6:00AM

San Francisco: 5:00AM

New York: 8:00AM

London: 1:00PM

Sorry if the time is inconvenient, but the goal is to have the project go live as the east coast is logging into their computers in the morning.

Thank you all for all the help designing the Papilio DUO!

Jack.

Archived