hamster

Reflow oven

Oh that may be the case for bare parts like that, I was referring to the SSR blocks with screw terminals, I'd be shocked (excuse the pun) to find one that was not isolated. If you check it with an ohm meter and it tests open then you should be good to go. The advice to ground/earth the heatsink still applies though.

James, So you mean to say, my bodge of just spicing it into the phase wire and wrapping it in insulation tape might not be the best way to go? Heavens! :)

In normal operation It makes no sense that if the case wasn't isolated. You can't connect the case to either of the phase wires, not only would it be dangerous but a grounded heatsink will blow the fuse. I guess you could connect the case to the negative control terminal, but that makes no sense either, as the whole point is to have optical isolation.

However, in case of a failed / faulty / broken SSR grounding the case is the smart thing to do. If a device fails with a dangerous phase-to-case short, then it would blow the fuse.

My comment about grounding the case was to protect against a fault condition, as I said, I've never seen one of these brick type SSRs that was not isolated and can't imagine such a thing would be made as this is a standard form factor used in all sorts of equipment. It's always a wise choice to ground the metal enclosure of any mains powered device.

The bare transistor-looking parts with PC pins could go either way. While I've never used a SSR in that form factor, certainly many transistors and thyristors are NOT isolated tab. The isolation costs money and adds thermal resistance, the idea being that it is a component to be integrated into a piece of equipment where either the heatsink itself is entirely enclosed within the device, or a thermal pad or mica insulator is placed between the device and heatsink to provide the isolation.

Reflow interface PCBs have finally arrived. When assembled it will have 4xLEDs, screw terminals for the SSR, and connector for an Adafruit thermocouple amp/ADC board.

Reflow_wing_pcbs.jpg

If anybody is keen for one then send me an email with you address and I'll toast one for you and drop it in the mail.

Jack, would you like me to some any left overs your way? You could drop them in as freebees with orders...

Hey everyone,

I received a shiny new batch of reflow interface Wings from Hamster. He was kind enough to build up a batch of boards for the Papilio community, thank you Hamster that was really great of you to do.

I've been thinking of the best way to get these out to people and I think the easiest way is to just drop a wing in anyone's order who requests one in the comment section. That way the free wing can be piggybacked on the shipping of an order. So, if you want one of these free reflow controller wings then please add a comment to your next Gadget Factory order saying that you would like one of Hamster's free Reflow Interface Wings. We will drop them in orders upon request for as long as they last. 

Oh, and once again, thank you so much for putting these together for the community Hamster!

Jack.