Newbie SPI Flash programming issue

Nitz76

Hello there!

I'm just starting with my Papilio 2.04 500K  and Arcade Mega Wing.

I managed to build and merge the Puckman game to a.bit file.

It works A1 when I program it into the FPGA with Papilio Loader v2.4. (Written 2.1 at the top but...)

My issue is when I program it to SPI Flash. It gives no error but it just dies there after programmation.

Any idea? :huh:

Thanks!

FPGA OK:

JTAG chainpos: 0 Device IDCODE = 0x41c22093 Desc: XC3S500E
Created from NCD file: PACMAN.ncd;UserID=0xFFFFFFFF
Using devlist.txt
Target device: 3s500evq100
Created: 2011/12/05 18:13:32
Bitstream length: 2270208 bits

Uploading "C:\papilio\pacman_rel004_sp3e_papilio\bit_files\pacman_on_pacman_hardware_p1_500K.bit". Done.
Programming time 561.6 ms
USB transactions: Write 146 read 6 retries 0

SPI-FLASH KO:

Using devlist.txt

Uploading "C:\Program Files\Gadget Factory\Papilio Loader\programmer\bscan_spi_xc3s500e.bit". Done.
Programming time 234.0 ms

Programming External Flash Memory with "C:\papilio\pacman_rel004_sp3e_papilio\bit_files\pacman_on_pacman_hardware_p1_500K.bit".
Found SST Flash (Pages=2048, Page Size=264 bytes, 4325376 bits).
Erasing    :
Ok
Verifying  :
.....Pass
Programming :
..............Finished Programming
Ok
Verifying  :
.....Pass
Using devlist.txt
Done.
SPI execution time 7176.0 ms
USB transactions: Write 2881 read 2164 retries 0
Using devlist.txt

ISC_Done       = 0
ISC_Enabled    = 0
House Cleaning = 1
DONE           = 0

what command line are you using to upload the bit?

try

papilio-prog.exe -v -f pacman_on_pacman_hardware_p1_500K.bit -b bscan_spi_xc3s500e.bit -sa -r

papilio-prog.exe -c

there will hopefully be a release of papilio prog that doesnt require the 2nd papilio-prog command soon.

what command line are you using to upload the bit?

try

papilio-prog.exe -v -f pacman_on_pacman_hardware_p1_500K.bit -b bscan_spi_xc3s500e.bit -sa -r

papilio-prog.exe -c

there will hopefully be a release of papilio prog that doesnt require the 2nd papilio-prog command soon.

Hum... same result. <_<

strange.

try using the arcade blaster app (if you have java installed)

and see if it works that way.

if it does, you can try using the papilio prog that ships with it to see if its a bug with the newer version.

i have built pacman using the ise to build the roms into the bit file and have used the 'other' way which is

to use the arcade blaster hardware profiles and merge the rom data into them.  both ways worked for me.

Hello there!

I'm just starting with my Papilio 2.04 500K  and Arcade Mega Wing.

I managed to build and merge the Puckman game to a.bit file.

It works A1 when I program it into the FPGA with Papilio Loader v2.4. (Written 2.1 at the top but...)

My issue is when I program it to SPI Flash. It gives no error but it just dies there after programmation.

Any idea? :huh:

Thanks!

FPGA OK:

Created from NCD file: PACMAN.ncd;UserID=0xFFFFFFFF

Using devlist.txt

Target device: 3s500evq100

Created: 2011/12/05 18:13:32

Bitstream length: 2270208 bits

Uploading "C:\papilio\pacman_rel004_sp3e_papilio\bit_files\pacman_on_pacman_hardware_p1_500K.bit". Done.

Programming time 561.6 ms

USB transactions: Write 146 read 6 retries 0

SPI-FLASH KO:

Using devlist.txt

Uploading "C:\Program Files\Gadget Factory\Papilio Loader\programmer\bscan_spi_xc3s500e.bit". Done.

Programming time 234.0 ms

Programming External Flash Memory with "C:\papilio\pacman_rel004_sp3e_papilio\bit_files\pacman_on_pacman_hardware_p1_500K.bit".

Found SST Flash (Pages=2048, Page Size=264 bytes, 4325376 bits).

Erasing    :

Ok

Verifying  :

.....Pass

Programming :

..............Finished Programming

Ok

Verifying  :

.....Pass

Using devlist.txt

Done.

SPI execution time 7176.0 ms

USB transactions: Write 2881 read 2164 retries 0

Using devlist.txt

ISC_Done       = 0

ISC_Enabled    = 0

House Cleaning = 1

DONE           = 0

The output that you posted above actually looks like the programming was succesful... That's exactly what the output should be for a successful SPI Flash. What are you seeing once it finishes? I'm guessing it doesn't restart the board and display pacman to the screen. Can you try to manually unplug and plug the board back in to see if the bit file starts? When you program directly to the FPGA are you seeing pacman start?

Jack.

The output that you posted above actually looks like the programming was succesful... That's exactly what the output should be for a successful SPI Flash. What are you seeing once it finishes? I'm guessing it doesn't restart the board and display pacman to the screen. Can you try to manually unplug and plug the board back in to see if the bit file starts? When you program directly to the FPGA are you seeing pacman start?

Jack.

Thanks for your fast answers guys!

After I sucessfully flash the SPI, it just hangs.  VGA goes out of sync.  I tried to unplug everything and replug.  Same thing.

If I do the same to FPGA, packman starts.

Is my board defective in some way?

B.T.W., I read through how the SPI pushes the .bit file to FPGA at startup. Clever.

If you need me to probe something, just ask, I'm well equipped.

Thanks!

not sure.  i guess its possible that the board is wonky, but that's for Jack to determine.

assuming that the roms were built in properly i dont see why it wouldnt work, especially with the

output you posted above.

i would direct you to the demo/test file, but i am not sure where jack keeps it.

the last thing i can think of is i can post a zip with everything so all you do is unzip and click the .bat (assuming you are on windows)

and see what the result is.

we have a few games that are not © that should be ok to do.

Mr Do's Nightmare and Pong Demo come to mind.

i am at work so i can't do it at the moment, but if you like, i will do it whenever i get home in about 5 hours.

I'm completely baffled by this... My first thought is that maybe there is something wrong with reading back from the SPI Flash. But the papilio-loader is passing the verification phase after programming where the loaded bit file is read back and verified.

All I can think is that there is something wrong with the FPGA chip that is preventing it from booting from SPI Flash.

I would ask that you try another bit file but it looks like you already did so with the 3 weeks to paradise bit file. I think we better look at replacing the board at this point.

Do you mind sending an email to support@gadgetfactory.net with your shipping address and a link to this forum post?

BTW, I live in Denver, Colorado and my business partner who takes care of shipping lives in Ashland, Oregon.

Thank you,

Jack.

bit of everything. bout the only thing i don't do is run copper/fiber outside the building, and install major equipment (routers etc)

i deal with everything from the end user all the way to the satellite/fiber backbone transport providers for internet,phone,dead/alarm pairs,whatever they want.

the last thing i can think of is i can post a zip with everything so all you do is unzip and click the .bat (assuming you are on windows)

and see what the result is.

we have a few games that are not © that should be ok to do.

Mr Do's Nightmare and Pong Demo come to mind.

i am at work so i can't do it at the moment, but if you like, i will do it whenever i get home in about 5 hours.

try this out.  

Mr Do's Nightmare.zip

it contains 2 windows batch files.

program_temporary.bat

program_permanent.bat

it should load up Mr Do's Nightmare (tested here and works)

try this out.  

attachicon.gifMr Do's Nightmare.zip

it contains 2 windows batch files.

program_temporary.bat

program_permanent.bat

it should load up Mr Do's Nightmare (tested here and works)

Thanks bud!

Unfortunately, same exact thing; temporary works but permanent not.

I cleaned the board and inspected it. No luck.

Is it normal that the joystick cannot go up/down in mr.Do?  It works properly in pacman.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I received the new board today. :P

Yup, that did the trick!  It now works! :lol:   I don't know what is the issue with the other one.

I'll ship the old one back tomorrow. Hope you'll find what's wrong.

I want to thank everyone involved in this case!

Cheers!

Nitz.

Archived