Adding midi controls + casing questions

dkstr

Hi, thanks for the interesting product, I just ordered myself your package deal of Retrocade.

I come from a musician background and only have dabbled little bit with scripting with Arduino and built some kits etc., so sorry about the n00bness of the questions. My goal is to build Retrocade to a proper case with some controls for the SID and YM-emulation. So some questions regarding that:

Inputs:
I noticed theres 16 digital inputs and 16 analog inputs, but theres way more controls. Would it be hard to do one knob divided to six positions that selects which midi-channel is edited (SID-channels 1-3 or YM-channels 1-3)? That way there would be only 13 controllers + the midi channel selector. Also, is it possible to edit which midi channels it uses? 

Casing:
Is it possible to detach the screen and joystick and resolder them again with some wiring if I would like to have everything in a neat box? It seems that joystick and screen are lower than midiports?

Would it be hard to do one knob divided to six positions that selects which midi-channel is edited (SID-channels 1-3 or YM-channels 1-3)?  

I have been headed down a similar route, but I am not going to be modifying my hardware just yet.  The RetroCade already has CCs mapped to the parameters, so if you already have a MIDI controller with some programmable controls, you could just map these to the RetroCade.  Then once you have it working the way you want it, you could add the knobs and buttons.  

But yeah, to answer your original question, I think adding the extra controls you talk about should be pretty easy.  If you wanted a more compact control surface, you could have a push buttons (arrow keys) that cycle through the voices and then a set of controls to edit the selected YM/SID voice.

Is it possible to detach the screen and joystick and resolder them again with some wiring if I would like to have everything in a neat box? It seems that joystick and screen are lower than midiports?

The LCD is attached with a header to the PCB, so you should be able to just unscrew it and run a ribbon cable to where ever it needs to go. For the joystick, I wouldn't recommend desoldering it.  Just add another joystick and update the code to

Hi, thanks for the interesting product, I just ordered myself your package deal of Retrocade.

I come from a musician background and only have dabbled little bit with scripting with Arduino and built some kits etc., so sorry about the n00bness of the questions. My goal is to build Retrocade to a proper case with some controls for the SID and YM-emulation. So some questions regarding that:

Inputs:

I noticed theres 16 digital inputs and 16 analog inputs, but theres way more controls. Would it be hard to do one knob divided to six positions that selects which midi-channel is edited (SID-channels 1-3 or YM-channels 1-3)? That way there would be only 13 controllers + the midi channel selector. Also, is it possible to edit which midi channels it uses? 

Casing:

brianv has a good idea, it is real easy to detach the LCD and connect it to a case with the ribbon cable, but the joystick is not going to be an easy task. The best move is to probably add a third party joystick to the GPIO pins that can be attached to your case. We hope to be adding some to the Gadget Factory store very soon.

Jack.

• 1 month later...

brianv has a good idea, it is real easy to detach the LCD and connect it to a case with the ribbon cable, but the joystick is not going to be an easy task. The best move is to probably add a third party joystick to the GPIO pins that can be attached to your case. We hope to be adding some to the Gadget Factory store very soon.

Jack.

Hi Jack ..

Im too from musician backround ... I plan use blind for 19" rack 1HU or 2HU and complete with knobs and insert LCD panel into hole.

Are you able advice type of knobs to control of filters and parameters ...  ? 

Can you attach some circuit for fitting with this knobs ?

Thank

Mila NeNo

Mila,

You could check out http://www.ucapps.de/ for some ideas on circuits, the code may help too.

Brian,

But I´m realy only musician and basic technician ... :D I have many thoghts about using this gear ... not development ... I know if I use some ribbon wire with connector on PCB side on other side I use some knobs but need circuits how it connect to terminal ( if use some resistor to change impedance etc ) If you advice me I´ll happy :D

Thanks  

There really isn't a lot to the hardware side of things, I don't think.  Check out this example: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Potentiometer.  All that's done is hook up the pot to +5, G and then to a GPIO.  The tough part is going to be updating the software to do what you want. 

The easy way to do it without building anything is to use the onboard MIDI capability and get a control surface like the Kork nanoKONTROL or Behringer BCR and then map those controls to the functions you want to control.  

There is also a new MIDI library for Android that looks pretty promising.  I have yet to try it out, but if you have USB OTG capability on your phone,it would be possible to create a control surface on the phone.  I am actually really interested in doing this for the Retrocade :)     

There really isn't a lot to the hardware side of things, I don't think.  Check out this example: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Potentiometer.  All that's done is hook up the pot to +5, G and then to a GPIO.  The tough part is going to be updating the software to do what you want. 

The easy way to do it without building anything is to use the onboard MIDI capability and get a control surface like the Kork nanoKONTROL or Behringer BCR and then map those controls to the functions you want to control.  

There is also a new MIDI library for Android that looks pretty promising.  I have yet to try it out, but if you have USB OTG capability on your phone,it would be possible to create a control surface on the phone.  I am actually really interested in doing this for the Retrocade :)     

Perfect ... Brian!

I looked at arduino site and I understand how it works but may I add this code to IDE ? Or is it implemented from start. I ordered this week Retrocade with Papilio Pro ...  ;)

I ve got at home 2xC64 I think about demontage SID chip and use it in real application to wider sound posibilities. What do you think about this type of use ? And I may use case for Retrocade ...  :lol: Maybe I am little fool but I think about Retrocade as main controller for analog gear I think about adding output CV to control Series 500 DIY modules or connect own pieces MOOG VCO,FILTERS clone etc .... from old services manuals what I find on internet. Am I nuts ?  :rolleyes:  

Nice weekend

Mila

Brian,

But I´m realy only musician and basic technician ... :D I have many thoghts about using this gear ... not development ... I know if I use some ribbon wire with connector on PCB side on other side I use some knobs but need circuits how it connect to terminal ( if use some resistor to change impedance etc ) If you advice me I´ll happy :D

Thanks  

The Analog connector on the RetroCade MegaWing was designed to allow you to connect Seeed Grove devices if you use the eBrick adapter. Keep in mind that these have to be Analog devices such as the slider.

I haven't added a library to read the analog inputs but I have one that will be easy to add.

Jack.

Archived