Lee O'D

NoteOff Issues

Edit: I am not sure if I'm missing something, but does the latest bit-file for RetroCade not include the Sketch that's loaded into it? If not, where can I pick it up? I had to make the above change to the 1.0 Sketch version, in addition to patching the noteOff bug this thread is about. I'd like the latest version so I can see if I'm able to  create keyboard split functionality and other mad things for live playing.

Once we get the SID filters finished and the new AudioMixer in place I'm going to make a new release with all the latest patches. Maybe this week if all goes well.

Jack.

It's tangental to the topic at hand; but after applying the fixes for the NoteOff issues and getting a feel for the code, I have written a basic keyboard-split function which uses the button-LED wing to assign a channel to each side of the keyboard and determine where the split should be.

If I could clean this up to use the onboard joystick, would it be worth me forking the GitHub repository and submitting my code as a pull request?

I'd ideally like to implement a whole host of performance-based tweaks, and my next step would be "Performance Presets", or something of that nature: a number of saved presets that store customisations to a channel ,split setup and other settings. The idea behind this is that it facilitates live performances- having owned and played with a variety of stand-alone synths, I'm not a big fan of the RetroCade being tied to a computer, it can work miracles standalone.

Gadgetoid,

I'd be thrilled to have that code submitted as a pull request. I'm just cleaning out my todo list righ now before making a big push to get the next RetroCade release out. In the next couple of weeks I should be to the point where I can put a lot of time into the RetroCade again.

Jack.

Gadgetoid,

I'd be thrilled to have that code submitted as a pull request. I'm just cleaning out my todo list righ now before making a big push to get the next RetroCade release out. In the next couple of weeks I should be to the point where I can put a lot of time into the RetroCade again.

Jack.

Great news! Do you have a private repo for your current work in progress? More for my own educational benefit I have moved all the SID instrument definitions and names into a Struct, but suspect this may be a duplication of effort.

When it comes to Arduino/ZPUino I'm much more a hacker than a programmer, but my fork is here: https://github.com/Gadgetoid/RetroCade_Synth

I have included the suggested NoteOff fix in a potentially clunky way, as my Synth/Keyboard combo is unplayable without it.

None of my splits configuration stuff is in this repo yet. It works great with the Button-LED wing, but needs rewriting to support instrument/channel selection... which I still find a tad confusing, but will no doubt grok soon!

Hey, I appear to be having stuck notes for some reason still. 1.1 firmware, happens even if I send it notes with 0 velocity, I just get a solid note-on which changes if I send different pitches, but never appears to turn off.

The MIDI's coming from an Elektron Octatrack, but I've tried using Beatstep with no improvement..

Supplementary issue- I've tried using the Synth installer on Windows 8.1, it doesn't error out, but I believe the drivers are not installing (followed the BCDedit instructions, test signing is supported), any suggestion there as well? Less important if I can get it responding to external midi properly, of course. I see the USB-to-Serial pop up in device manager, unsure what else might might be required.

Hello JeanneDOrc,

The best thing to do is enable debugging in the source code and then watch over the serial port to see what MIDI events are being sent by your devices. It must be that those devices do not send a note off? Maybe they send a zero velocity or something?

Jack.

I'll report back with the debug spew.

Is there any workaround if it is deciding to send off signal via note on with 0 velocity? I've intentionally sent over 0 velocity notes and it still doesn't stop notes from ringing, either. I've had it occur attempting to sequence from other devices as well, so this is apparently a common MIDI hack for whatever architectural reason. Only difference is, my other devices usually expect/handle it more gracefully.

Thanks again for the reply!

Edit: This does explain the trend, at least.

"It's all to do with Running Status optimisation  to maximise the MIDI bandwidth by reducing the amount of data transmitted to perform a note off command." http://www.blitter.com/~russtopia/MIDI/~jglatt/tech/midispec/run.htm

Hello JeanneDOrc,

The best thing to do is enable debugging in the source code and then watch over the serial port to see what MIDI events are being sent by your devices. It must be that those devices do not send a note off? Maybe they send a zero velocity or something?

Jack.

Ahoy JeanneDOrc,

I don't think Zero Velocity notes are handled in the stock sketch ( Jack will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure! ) which is why I chose to modify and re-upload my own variant with a small tweak that was suggested by another forum user some time ago and probably earlier in this thread.

If you're confident with these kinds of tweaks, you can try adding the below to the HandleNoteOn function in RetroCade_Sketch.ino, it worked well for me!:

if (velocity==0) { HandleNoteOff(channel, pitch, velocity); return; }