Jack Gassett

Papilio Plus Prototypes available for $84.99 in the store.

Hello Thorsten,

The Papilio Pro design has been submitted to Seeed Studio for manufacturing. We might see it for sale as soon as 1 month from now.

Jack.

I know that there are specific usages to when you use b or B, but almost none follow those, so, does this mean it is 64MBytes?, and it can be upgraded to 512MBytes?

nod thats why i edited it ;) probably you were adding your reply after i edited it :)

to make things even more confusing, digikey lists the chip as 64MB not Mb lol...

http://www.digikey.c...1065-ND/2744748

so really i have no clue now.. hopefully Jack will enlighten us!

assuming MX25L25635EMI-12G is the proper one to replace it with for 256, the

price isnt too bad ..

http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/MX25L25635EMI-12G/1092-1087-ND/2744770

Edited by Felix

page 1 of the topic, about 5 posts down. assuming he didnt change it for the final board.

i am trying the macronix site, but its taking forever to load for me.

Hey Guys, Sorry for the confusion. There is a difference between the Papilio Plus specifications that was posted in the beginning of the thread and the Papilio Pro which is about to be manufactured. The Papilio Plus used SRAM and the Papilio Pro will use SDRAM.

The Papilio Pro is using this Micronix SDRAM chip that is 64Mbit (8MByte). It can be replaced with this Micronix chip that is 512Mbit (64MByte). (For future reference, I always follow the convention of Mb for Megabit and MB for Megabyte.)

Alvaro already has a SDRAM controller working with the ZPUino (adapted from hamster's SDRAM controller) that gives a whooping 8MByte of code space to be used on the Papilio Pro. I've been adding lots of libraries to the RetroCade that take advantage of this extra space and it is great!

This extra memory will open up a whole new class of applications we can run on the Papilio and I can't wait. :) I think we will see Linux, C64, and maybe even MAME in the next six months. :)

Jack.

Oh, the other big changes for the Papilio Pro:

• A very nice switching power supply that doesn't generate any noticeable heat, even with the the most power hungry applications.
  • 64Mb SPI Flash chip to support multi-boot images.
  • Reset switch
  • User LED
  • A jumper that will hold the Xilinx chip in reset so the FTDI JTAG/MPSSE pins can be used without the FPGA getting in the way.
  • Mounting holes

looks like you may have to release some sort of ethernet wing-thing if we can get linux to run ;)

keep up the great work!

Edited by Felix

I'm looking into getting suska, an fpga implementation of the atari ste, to work on the papilio (see http://www.experiment-s.de/en/). Seems feasible but, on the papilio plus, the size of the sram (512kB) and the size of the atari rom (256kB) will leave only 256kB of user ram, making the whole thing a bit useless (virtually all atari st machines had at least 512kB of ram...)

So I'd be *very* interested in getting one of these Papilio Pro boards... please keep us posted about the progress on the seeed studio front.

BTW, what about your project of a new, simplified arcade megawing ?

Ben,

I just asked Seeed for an estimate on the Papilio Pro today, hopefully I'll be able to pass on something when I hear back. If I get enough time I will try to do one more prototype batch, if I do you are definitely on the list for one.

Regarding the updated Arcade MegaWing board... I was just thinking about that today, the hold up is that the existing Arcade MegaWing design is really cheap to manufacture and I think the updated design is going to come in quite a bit higher. The $20 price point of the existing Arcade MegaWing is not something I want to sacrifice... The LogicStart MegaWing ended up costing more to manufacture then I expected and I used many of the same components on the updated Arcade MegaWing. So I'm guessing that the new design is going to bump the price of the Arcade MegaWing up to at least $30... I'd really like to keep the Arcade MegaWing at $20...

If you consider that the Papilio Pro is going to open up a whole new class of applications for the Papilio, the Atari ST design you are talking about, a C64 project, an Apple IIe, and it's not my place to announce anything but a little birdy told me that Linux is just around the corner... I was thinking that it makes more sense to convert the updated Arcade MegaWing design into an Embedded MegaWing that all these project can run on. That will let us keep offering the $20 Arcade MegaWing for people who just want to get started with Arcade games. People who want arcade games and embedded systems can purchase the Embedded MegaWing instead which is going to come in around $30-$35. Does that sound like a good plan? Are there any features people would like to see on an embedded megawing?

Thanks,

Jack.

Well, maybe a better name then embedded megawing. :) But meant for embedded systems like linux, and retro systems like C64, atari st, apple iie.

Jack.

gotcha.. sounds good :)

think you can work SD Card slot into the thing ? not sure if thats even a good idea but a way to get stuff into and out of the diff machines could be useful