Jack Gassett

Papilio Plus Prototypes available for $84.99 in the store.

Board arrived today.  Haven't tested yet.

Looking forward to playing with it. 

Just the same here. Hope I still have enough headers in stock to try it seriously :)

Just the same here. Hope I still have enough headers in stock to try it seriously :)

I did. The FPGA works great, haven't had the chance to test the SRAM yet.

Just being curious : when synthesizing for the Spartan 6, XST did not like the "meta values", such as - in

with a select

data_bus <= rom_data when "11--------10----",

ram_data when "--001-----------",

(others=>'-') when others;

The same code was working just fine with the Spartan 3A chip... Had to rewrite a bit of my code, and it's definitily more messy now.

Any ideas ?

Ben,

They changed the synthesis engine with the Spartan 6 and it is much stricter now! So things that worked for Spartan 3 are not acceptable anymore and will fail.

It's usually very minor syntax things that need to be changed... Not a show stopper, just annoying :)

Jack.

Guest monkeydoo

Excellent, Ben.

Hmm...

LED1 is illuminated.  I assume thats the test bitstream?

First test, I created a simple bitstream to flash LED1.  In a previous post Jack mentioned it is connected to P112 as I cannot find it in latest UCF.  It remains illuminated regardless of what I do.

Papilio Loader 1.7 (marked as latest) from GitHub apparently sends bitstream OK over JTAG.  Too tired.  Will play some more tommorrow :)

Ian

Guest monkeydoo

Jack,

Thanks.  Rapid reply as usual.  I should be more to the point on forums :) .

Did these boards leave the gadget factory with a bitstream programmed that would keep LED1 illuminated?

Is Papilio Loader 1.7 the correct version to use (I guess it's only the devlist that is important)

Would you expect a bitstream that only pulls P112 low for LED1 to remain on?

I will need to download a precompiled bitstream to try.  Perhaps I have a problem with ISE.

Cheers

Ian

EDIT:

Okay, I've had more time to play with this.  I am having wacky issues uploading a bitstream.  I am also completely unable to program the external flash.  Rather than take this thread futher off topic I'll post the details in a new thread.

Jack,

Thanks.  Rapid reply as usual.  I should be more to the point on forums :) .

Did these boards leave the gadget factory with a bitstream programmed that would keep LED1 illuminated?

Is Papilio Loader 1.7 the correct version to use (I guess it's only the devlist that is important)

Would you expect a bitstream that only pulls P112 low for LED1 to remain on?

I will need to download a precompiled bitstream to try.  Perhaps I have a problem with ISE.

Cheers

Ian

EDIT:

Okay, I've had more time to play with this.  I am having wacky issues uploading a bitstream.  I am also completely unable to program the external flash.  Rather than take this thread futher off topic I'll post the details in a new thread.

Have you solved this? It seems I am having the same issue, LED on P112 stays ON regardless of whether I pull P112 low or high with a simple bitstream.

I can program SPI flash now via JTAG from ISE iMPACT, when it is configured as

Part: S25FL064P

Type: SPI PROM

Data Width: 1

The flash itself is MX25L644E from Macronix (MXIC). Hope this info can save some time for someone else.

Roman

• Like 1

Hi,

for those of us who were too wrapped up in themselves and real life to spot the Papilio Plus prototypes being available until far too late, any news on when we might expect to be able to order one?

Nik

Hello Nik,

I'm working on a new Papilio Plus board that I'm calling the Papilio Pro to differentiate it. It uses a switching power supply instead of linear regulators and has 64Mb SDRAM instead of SRAM. If testing goes well I hope to deliver it with the RetroCade Synth project so it should be available in a couple of months.

Thanks,

Jack.

Hello Jack,

I know you are busy with the papilio Pro, RetroCade , etc so I won't be long. has any progress been made on supporting programming of the 64M Macronix device? I am getting back to this and would like to be able to do something more "permanent" on my papilio Plus v1.2.

If you get a chance please let me know my options.

Thanks

Bob

Hello Bob,

That is my very next thing to work on for the Papilio Pro, I hope to work on it this week and would love to have it finished by this Friday, it all depends on how many business related things crop up that keep me away from the technical side of things.

Jack.

Bob,

Great news, I had a breakthrough today and figured out what the big problem with the Macronix SPI FLash chip was. (papilio-prog was adding an extra clock tick before /cs was finished and Macronix chips seem to be picky about that) I just successfully programmed a bit file onto the Macronix SPI Flash chip! I'll try to get it cleaned up and released tomorrow.

Yeah!

Jack.

Jack,

That is great news!! I knew you would resolve the issue given your excellent track record! I really enjoy using your Papilio platform to help educate young children in math and science by the way of robotics. It is perfect for that. looking forward to the release!

Thanks

Bob

Jack,

Thank you very much for the latest update to the Papilio Loader for the Macronix Flash. It works fine! One question which I don't think I have ever mentioned before is that if I have a USB hub ( This happen s on all my PCs at home or work, Windows XP or Windows 7) connected the Paplio Loader or Papilio programmer fails to recognize any Papilio board and just time out. Any idea what is causing this. If I disconnect the hub , everything works just fine.

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

This is the first time I've heard of a USB hub causing trouble with the Papilio. I have a USB hub that I use all the time that works perfectly, I use it whenever I'm testing new boards to protect my USB ports...

Can you give me more info? What brand of USB port is it? Is it USB 2.0 or an older 1.1? Any clues that can help me re-create the issue will be helpful.

Thanks!

Jack.

is it a powered or non-powered hub ? does windows see the Papilio ?

if you go into device manager and right click the usb hub, it should show how much power is available per port on that particular hub.

also it will tell you how much power the board requested.

Jack,

I believe the issue may only happen when two powered hubs have been chained together. I need to try to recreate the issue but I will be busy working on some business out of town for the rest of the week. Please do not spend any cycles investigating this at this time until I can get more data.

Thanks

Bob

Hi,

very interesting boards which are discussed her. I would like to give them a try. I wanted to buy a Papilio One, but as I see these boards with embedded RAM this would be much nicer.

But are there some boards or ready to use Papilo Pros available somewhere? Or do I have to build them by myself.

Thanks

Thorsten