Guest evil_andy

connect-debounce failed errors

Guest evil_andy

Hi, I just got a papilio one 500K board last week for my birthday and was able to burn the pacman clone software to it.  Unfortunately, I just went to program the mandlebrot demo to it, and every time I plug it into my laptop, I get the error:

[  158.619344] hub 2-1:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 2 disabled

[  161.174934] hub 2-1:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 2 disabled

[  163.772332] hub 2-1:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 2 disabled

[  166.296073] hub 2-1:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 2 disabled

[  168.843351] hub 2-1:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 2 disabled

[  171.397176] hub 2-1:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 2 disabled

It doesn't matter which port I plug it into, or with what cable, it always fails...

It was purchased from seeed studios, so I'm trying to work with them to get a replacement. Any ideas what could have caused this?

The board has never been outside my little lab at home (with its anti-static workbench, etc etc) so I don't know what happened.

I'm running ubuntu linux 10.10 and kernel 2.6.35-32

Hello,

Thank you for checking the Papilio out. :)

I've never personally seen this error message so unfortunately I don't have a quick solution for this one. :(

I will say that these boards seem to be able to take a lot of abuse without having any problems. So if it did work at one point and nothing drastic happened then the hardware might be fine. It might be worth trying a couple things locally before having to wait for a return.

I did a quick google search on the error and read through a couple forum posts about it. There is no definitive answer for the problem but a common thread seems to be a conflict with other USB devices. I would try to disconnect any other USB devices and see what happens. I would also try it with and without a USB hub. And finally, if none of this works, I would try it with a completely different computer. If you have a Windows machine that might be worth trying too.

Let me know how it goes,

Jack.

Guest evil_andy

Hi,

I tried it under windows on my system and a coworkers system. unfortunately at least the USB interface on the board is toast :(

I don't think the fpga itself was damaged because playing pacman on it still (seems) to work. not that I have a joystick to test that out with...

I've emailed seeed, but I'm not sure how far that will get (their warranty policy states that if you solder it, program it, etc, it's void, which is kinda silly seeing as you HAVE to solder the headers onto it to even be able to use it for anything)

In any case, I was really looking forward to learning about FPGAs, and the papilio one looked like a great place to start!  It just appears I may have to wait a little bit longer to actually get farther into it :)

I'll keep you posted with what ends up happening... If seeed says no to the return, I may try and start replacing things, starting with the ftdi chip...

-Andrew

Guest evil_andy

Wow, thanks!

I really appreciate it! And here I was itching to use my new hot air rework station  ;)

Guest evil_andy

evil_andy: have you tried another USB cable ? Just to be sure... some cables are like your name, evil :)

Ha! :)

Yeah, I tried 3 different USB cables on 2 different systems and 2 different operating systems on each system... wow. that belongs on sesame street  ;)

Guest evil_andy

Just a final update, it looks like the ftdi chip was in fact defective, so they've offered to replace the board.

Hopefully I'll get it in the next week or two!  :)

Guest evil_andy

Just got back to the states and the new one arrived while I was gone. tried it out and it works perfectly!

looks like it was an issue with the ftdi chip

hi,

is it common that the FTDI chip burn? I bought papilo one 500k in march 2011 (also for my birthday as eliv_andy) and used maybe two or three times since then. tonight I connect 12v, usb cable and smeled something bad. I unpluged everything and the FTDI chip was really hot and in the dmesg I didn't see that I connect the board. I used it just few days ago with the same power adapter and everything worked fine.

do you know if/when I remove the FTDI chip, what I should messure on the bord pins?

is there a simple way to check, if just the FTDI chip is burn?

thank you for your answer.

ldluck,

There is no need to connect a power adapter, the Papilio gets its power from the USB port. The power adapter is only there in case there is ever a need for more then the 500mA provided by the USB port. So far there are no projects that need more then the USB power. So you don't need the power adapter at all and 12V is actually high, if you are going to use the power jack I would not use 12V, I would go with more like 7-9V.

Anyway, we can get you a new Papilio board, where did you get it from? Please send me all related information to support@gadgetfactory.net.

Thanks!

Jack.

hi,

I know about the powering from USB, and I there wasn't any real reason, why I was not using it. it's very good to know that 12V is high. But because here http://www.gadgetfactory.net/papilio-wiki/ and here http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Playground.Hardware is writen that "Input Voltage (recommended): 6.5-15V" and I needed 12V in other part of my schematic (generating white noise on avalanche transition) I though it will be ok.

btw: is the FT2232D chip "blank" on the Papilio One board, or programed?

hi,

I know about the powering from USB, and I there wasn't any real reason, why I was not using it. it's very good to know that 12V is high. But because here http://www.gadgetfac...t/papilio-wiki/ and here http://papilio.cc/in...nd.Hardware��is writen that "Input Voltage (recommended): 6.5-15V" and I needed 12V in other part of my schematic (generating white noise on avalanche transition) I though it will be ok.

6.5-15V is what the LD1117 chip's datasheet says it can handle, but the higher above 6.5V you go the more heat is generated and the harder the 5V LD1117 chip has to work. So the lower voltage you can use to power the board if you are going to use the power jack the better.

It occurred to me last night that maybe you just burnt out the 5V LD1117 which is only used when you apply power through the power jack, can you try to program the Papilio from the USB port only and see if it has any errors?

btw: is the FT2232D chip "blank" on the Papilio One board, or programed?

The eeprom chip that programs the FT2232D chip does indeed ship blank.

Jack.

It occurred to me last night that maybe you just burnt out the 5V LD1117 which is only used when you apply power through the power jack, can you try to program the Papilio from the USB port only and see if it has any errors?

The LD1117 looks really burnt out. Vout (pin2) and Vin (pin3) are shorted. that probably means, that everything that is conected to 5V power get 12V. and when I select power from USB and conect USB cable I don't see anything in PC - no new tty, nothing in dmesg and anything changes in lsusb. and the FT2232 gets hot. all the activity I see is that the power led lights up.

and when is everything unpluged and I mesure 47ohm resistance betwean GND and 5V. this is probably result of some burn semiconductor component that is powered with 5V. I was looking in the schematic and I see just FT2232, EEPROM 23C46B and of course LD1117. Is that corect or I miss something.