Pac-Man working (Linux)

Guest sowbug

Sharing a bit of color commentary on my blog entry.

Just got the Papilio on Sunday and was going through converting the Windows-based .bat and tools for merging/loading the Pac-Man bitfile. The first time I ran the loader with the bitfile, it paused for what seemed like maybe 250 milliseconds -- far too short in the opinion of someone coming from an Arduino background. Then I looked to my side and saw Pac-Man running on my old VGA monitor. I almost jumped out of my seat! I didn't expect it to work the first time, and especially with so little time elapsed since loading. Fun stuff!

Excellent!

I'll put it in the queue to put your entry on our blog.

One exciting bit of news, we are working overtime on the Papilio Arcade Blaster app and hope to release it this week.

http://www.screencast.com/t/bNbdMLEPbRZX

This app will let you load your ROM files into it and will then take care of merging them into a blank bit file and loading to your Papilio in under 12 seconds. :)

I'm also going to be checking in some new source code for the Frogger hardware type to allow merging in files after lunch.

Jack.

One exciting bit of news, we are working overtime on the Papilio Arcade Blaster app and hope to release it this week.

That looks very nice. The Arduino crowd has pretty high standards for out-of-the-box behavior, so this will go a long way toward scoring well in that community.

On the joystick vs. directional thing, sure, it'd be nice, but perhaps it'd be easier to recognize PS/2 keyboard input (maybe it already does, but I don't have a PS/2 keyboard, either!).

Archived