Using the wing Infrared Wing Shield with the Open Bench Logic Sniffer

Guest mondalaci

Guest mondalaci

Hi Jack,

I'm a happy owner of an Open Bench Logic Sniffer and I wonder whether I can use the Infrared Wing Shield with it in some ways.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Laci

PS: I think that the very poor visibility of the register link in the upper right corner and the heavy use of CAPTCHAs may seriously discourage contributions to this forum, especially considering the bad quality of the CAPTCHA which is a very unpleasant experience.

Hello Laci,

Thank you for putting up with the hassle of registration, I was being killed by spammer accounts so I increased the complexity of the Captcha, but maybe I can relax it now.

The Infrared Wing Shield can be used in a limited fashion with the Openbench Logic Sniffer, there are two modules that come with the IR Wing. A standard IR decoder that strips the carrier frequency and just show the IR pulses and a IRDA module that shows the raw IR including the carrier.

The OLS has very, very small voltage regulators in it that only provide 150mA of power. I've tested the IR Wing on the OLS and there just is not enough power for both modules on the IR Wing. If I remember correctly the IRDA module works but the standard IR decoder just doesn't get enough power to work.  :(

If you connect the IR Wing to a Papilio One and use the Sump Logic Analyzer with the Papilio then everything works great. There are two tutorials about it here:

http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Papilio.InfraredQuickStart

http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Papilio.AnalyzeRemoteControlCommands

Jack.

Guest mondalaci

Hey Jack,

As for the CAPTCHA issue I do understand your pain.  Have you ever tried Akismet?  It's supposed to be the best non-intrusive spammer protection which is automatically integrated into WordPress and it happens to have a module for SMF at http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=544

I wonder whether I can make the IR decoder work by simply powering it from an external power.  Don't wanna be a cheapass but I don't prefer anything over what's actually needed.  :)

Thanks,

Laci

Laci,

Thank you for the tip on Akismet, I relaxed the captcha rules and if we start getting spammed again I will look at it.

Yes, it should definitely work to power from external power, then it is just like using the Logic Sniffer with any other module.

I prefer to call it being frugal rather than being cheap.  :) I'm all about saving a buck whenever I can so I totally understand.

Jack.

Guest mondalaci

Jack,

I've just bought an IR Wing, yeah!

Any ideas why it went up from the initially shown $14.99 to $26.99 upon putting it to my basket?  Not that I find it expensive, just being curious.  :)

Also, is it an open hardware project?  I didn't take a through look yet but couldn't find any CAD files so far.  Anyways, even if it's not open source I still rather support you than any big companies, especially considering that you're the main character behind the OLS which is one of the coolest and most sophisticated open hardware project that I've ever seen.

Thanks for the great support and keep it up!

Laci

Laci,

Thank you for the kind words about the OLS. :)

I'm sorry about the $14.99 to $26.99 surpriser! The IR module can come in two variations, one with just the IR receiver and one with the IR and IRDA receiver. Zen cart is supposed to say, "Starting from $14.99" when there is an optional feature. I think I messed up when I configured the IRDA add on and made it the default, so you click on it thinking it is $14.99 but the IRDA add-on was configured to be selected by default so when you add it to the basket it automatically adds the $12 IRDA add-on and bumps the price up. Not a good way for it to work. :)

I just updated the item so that it defaults to *not* including the IRDA module by default. Now it says, "starting at $14.99".

So very sorry for the confusion, and thank you for being patient. :)

Jack.

Archived