Guest RicoBravo

Digital Alarm Clock

6 posts in this topic

A very cool project tutorial would be if you sold a wing with six 7-segment displays and used a tutorial to show us how to create a clock that contained hours minutes seconds with a loadable alarm. Many people could actually use this as an everyday device.

Thanks,

Rico Bravo

Hello Rico,

I like the idea, I've never used a 7 segment display before but luckily there is a xilinx reference design to look at.

I took the first step by making a 7 segment Wing in my free time this weekend. I'll get the design posted in just a little while here.

Jack.

Wow,

Looks Great!

I will purchase one for sure when the wing is available.

I am excited to try and design an alarm clock in the near future.

Thanks a million!

Jack,

We could also use the 7 segment display to make a calculator which is a great learning project.

The FPGA would contain Add Subtract Multiple Divide functions. This was a project I did back in school ten years ago but I plan on reteaching myself how to do the ALU again.

Thanks

Can also easily do alphanumeric displays (just chews up more pins and more current)

sparkfun sell some okay ones http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9934

Using 6 of them, 4 of the 4 seven segment displays and a few leds for a work project.

Add on board for a nexys3.

Its part of new fpga remote experiment for students as a replacement for the existing one

http://www.labshare.edu.au/catalogue/rigtypedetail/?id=9&version=1