Arduino Footprint compatibility

Guest boseji

Guest boseji

Hello,

I wish to know if the prototype take care of the spacing between the pin 7 & Pin8 of the Arduino.

As they are not in 100TH spacing.

Warm Regards,

Boseji

Hello Boseji,

I'm using the Arduino shield footprint from the Lady Ada EAGLE library. It has the strange spacing in place to mate with the Arduino. I wasn't really planning to make any changes, I figured that the Arduino footprint enables Arduino compatibility but if people want to use I/O that is in a standard spacing then the Wing Slot I/O with 64 pins is the best option.

Jack.

Guest boseji

Good News!!

I have validated the Lady Ada's Arduino Foot print and it matched to the actual Arduino Uno Second Rev.

The Footprint is correct!!

Well the next step is to integrate the Stacking of the Shields.

I mean that when you have a two sided mounting then You can use thoes extensible connectors ( Longer Male Berg pins below and Female Berg pins on top). But this leaves us with a problem that we cant custom connect the pins as we like. I mean you have to see how Seeeduino avoids that problem:

http://garden.seeedstudio.com/index.php?title=Seeeduino_v2.21

They provide an additional set of headers near to the actual Arduino headers. That can solve the problem.

Hope that you would be able to accommodate this is the PCBs are not ready yet.

Also I wanted to know more about how you plan to make the programming part.

Like in Papilio One we can just hook into the special Arduino IDE and work ?

I mean I was unable to see  the FT2232 JTAG part on this board.

So does the Arduino Program the board or we have a separate USB connector with which we can load the code into the FPGA.

I was wondering that there was no mention of an Configuration memory on this board. Does it mean that this board can be stand alone?

Kindly let me know on the above queries.

Warm Regards,

Boseji

Great! Thank you for verifying the Arduino foot print, that is very helpful.

Adding an arduino footprint side by side like you pointed out seems like a great solution for the board to be used as a shield and to use shields as well. I will try to integrate that.

For programming, I intend for the board to be programmable by the Arduino or with a "Programming Wing". To keep costs down and for easy integration the Arduino can program the Shield, but the price will be that it might take longer than a dedicated Programming Wing. For people that want fast programming or don't want to use an Arduino there will be a programming wing.

There is a SPI Flash chip for configuration memory, I want to use the biggest chip that we can because the Spartan 3A support multi-boot. :)

Jack.

Guest boseji

Hello,

Thanks for the update.

I understand about the Programming wing like the one used in the earlier Butterfly platform.

However I wonder that if this board can be made self sustained.

I mean just buy this board and you have it all.

I would like to propose two approaches:

1. Possibly if there is some space available,

FT232 USB uart can be a good option for programming the big FPGA.

or FT2232 directly on-board but not populated.

2. Have an Arduino chip with the FT232 in the bottom side running on 3.3V but not populated again.

I am not sure of the bottom side of the board yet as I have not seen the pictures.

If possible please post the pictures of the top and bottom sides of the PCB for the present design.

Also I wanted to know if the IO lines on the Papilio FPGA Shield have 5V tolerance or 3.3V tolerance.

And if this is select able like in the Papilio One board.

One more thing for short form of Papilio FPGA Shield , I think PFPGAs is a good one:-)

Warm Regards,

Boseji

I might consider leaving a footprint for the ft2232 that can be optionally populated... Someone else has suggested integrating an Arduino into the board as well. It's something to think about.

The plan is to make the Arduino lines 5V tolerant but leave the Papilio lines at 3.3V.

Jack.

Archived