Guest RytonMike

getting started

Guest RytonMike

Just received my papilio today and as a guy who learned his logic design in the early '70s, I am quite excited! While I have everything working fine on an XP netbook I am having no luck with a windows 7 64 bit. Could you confirm that the downloader and Arduino IDE should work in this environment and I will continue the struggle.

Hello,

I'm on a 64-bit Windows 7 device myself so everything should definitely work on that platform. What kind of troubles are you seeing? I know there was an update to Windows 7 that seems to block the ability to associate *.bat files with an extension. I guess I need to release a reg file or a Windows installer to address that problem. In the meantime it should be possible to drag bit files and drop them on the papilio_loader.bat file.

What issues are you seeing under Windows 7? I have a fresh install that I can test with to see if I get the same results.

Jack.

Guest RytonMike

Thanks, Jack,

I got two new COM ports automatically but they then disappeared and I cannot reinstall. It’s clearly a device manager problem: I’ll keep trying.

Mike

Ok, sounds good. You can jump on IRC today if you want some more help, I should be around all day today.

I'm going to be cut off for the next couple of days for Maker Faire, but will try to keep my eye on the forums.

Jack.

Guest RytonMike

I’m up and running now. Windows 7 tries to be clever with the FTDI devices but seems to have got stuck with the “special device”  type. Uninstalling did not fix this but “scan for hardware changes in device manager did.

Thanks for your help

Mike