All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Yesterday
  3. Last week
  4. Earlier
  5. Chris Wilcox

Papilio DUO not showing up on windows 10

If you can, look into loading the WebPack that installs under native Windows rather than VirtualBox. Integration with DesignLab actually works, much less hassle. If you do, be sure to go through the steps to fix the DLLs.
  6. sekyondai

Thanks Chris, It's definitely a possibility here as they are using virtual box, I will look into that.
  7. Chris Wilcox

Is gadget factory moving sites or shutting down?

Glad things are back! I just picked up a DUO (2M) and a LogicStart from Seeed and I was afraid I had been orphaned just after my purchase arrived. I was able to find the answer to my worry that the upper 5 LEDs on the LogicStart did not have limiting resistors (they are on the DUO) earlier today on the forums Working through the Introducing the Spartan 3E FPGA and VHDL pdf, my first foray into FPGA - enjoying the boards thus far.
  8. Chris Wilcox

If ISE is running in VirtualBox, deselect the DUO in Devices->USB from the VirtualBox Menu. I ran into this when trying to load a bitfile from the Papilio Loader running under Windows 10.
  9. Hello, One of my students has an issue where the DUO is not being recognized at all on her windows 10 machine (nothing shows up in device manager). She has installed papilio loader 2.8 twice, rebooted and even installed the FTDI drivers (which I believe she did not need to do) and still nothing. Any ideas? Thanks
  10. keesj

can wishbone library

Hi, Over the last couple of months I have been working on a module to communicate over the can bus. I have been using the papilio pro board as main development platform for that purpose. As a result I created a wishbone interface and some code running on the zpuino to be able to interface with the can bus. Using DesignLab was a very nice way to get started. thank you for that. the project can be found here https://github.com/keesj/can-hdl and documentation here https://keesj.github.io/can-hdl/index.html
  11. keesj

Hello, Good to know. there are some other pages that currently down (see other topic)
  12. I see most printed circuit boards are green in color. I’ve seen some blue and yellow boards, but not so many – so I have a question: Why are most PCBs green? The above question is not only asked by electronics hobbyists but also questioned by engineers, so today let’s unravel the mystery. http://www.pcbindex.com/ What the green part of a circuit board is A ‘green’ printed circuit board is not actually green all the way through. The only green part is the outer covering of resin called the solder mask or solder resist/oil. This is a hardened resin with colored pigments that is applied to the boards in a silkscreen fashion. The purpose of solder mask is to protect the electronic traces underneath from moisture and dust and to control the flow of molten solder. The actual core of a typical Fr-4 circuit board is a plain, dull, yellow color, but the solder mask can come in many colors such as blue, red, yellow, black and white. Even more exotic colors can be found for the extravagant such as orange, pink, purple, matte versions and even mixed color boards. So, the question remains, why green? Top Reasons Why Most PCBs are Green in Color 1. Green can relieve visual fatigue and aid in inspections In the early days, due to technological restrictions, quality inspections relied on workers manually checking the boards with their bare eyes. Squinting at tiny circuits all days is tiring work, but neurologists and psychologists agree that the wavelength of green light has relaxing effects on the body and can reduce fatigue. Additionally, they have found that the sensors in human eyes, or cones, are most sensitive to green light. Therefore, the contrast is greater between the circuit traces, pads, silkscreen printing and empty spaces. Just by observing the boards from the outside, one can easily identify defects in the outer layers. Compare the below images of green boards to other colors such as blue, yellow or even black and white. With higher contrast, errors are easier to spot. Black: Tilt me and you can see the circuit traces in the light. White: Traces..? What traces? Of course, nowadays PCB manufacturers use flying probe techniques and Automatic Optical Inspection (AOI) for these tasks, which is very effective in spotting errors. But there is another very important technical reason why most PCBs are green. 2. Green solder mask is physically superior Due to the traditional aspect of using green pigments, R&D into making better solder mask oils focused on the standard green color. The actual chemical pigments used influence the performance of the resin during application and in the field. When demand is pushing form factors to their limits, no one cares about having pink boards. As a result, green solder mask now has superior properties compared to other aesthetically orientated colors. Most prominently, commercial green solder mask is the only available color that can reliably produce solder mask dams of 0.1mm (4mil). Next up is red, yellow and blue that can produce 0.12mm dams and then black and white which can only achieve 0.15mm. Solder mask dams are vital for ICs and fine pitch components since they are valuable in preventing solder bridges from forming. Solder mask is typically applied using silkscreen techniques. A large blob of oil is dragged across a screen mesh with the circuit board underneath. The circuit board is removed for curing, and the next board goes under the mesh. But hey, hold on, I want another solder mask color. Well, then you have to remove the excess solder mask oil and wash the silkscreen before applying the new color. Otherwise, a silkscreen station is needed for each color. Furthermore, for white or lighter solder mask shades, you’ll also need another station for the black silkscreen ink. Then, if you find that one color is not particularly popular, the chemicals will be wasted and efficiency will be impaired. Similarly, some factories will not accept certain combinations of PCB features with colors other than green, since green is by default the most popular color. Consider this: typically, in a PCB fab house, many designs from various orders are grouped together on one panel (panelized). This way, they can make the most out of PCB real estate and reduce waste. But there are many processes that require the entire panel to be processed the same, like surface finishes and plating for castellated holes. So all boards on a particular panel must have the same requirements. By adding more and more specific features, the factory is more likely to end up with insufficient designs to fill a panel at one time. Adding factors such as solder mask color or board thickness into the picture multiplies the number of possible combinations, and multiples the waste and therefore cost. If available, you may end up paying for the cost of the entire panel. So by restricting certain combinations of colors and features, factories can keep costs down. Not to mention, developing a new solder mask oil that performs well as an electrical insulator, applies and adheres evenly, cures well and looks visually appealing is not a simple process. As such, expect to pay a premium for special requests like matte beige. So there are many reasons to love and not to love green. Which do you like best and why? Join our ongoing poll to pick your favorite below. Seeed Fusion’s PCB fabrication service offers a good range of solder mask colors to suit your prototyping palette from deep-sea blue, Ferrari red, sunshine yellow, slick black, pure white and of course good ol’ green and at no extra cost.
  13. tangentstorm

HighSpeedUART page is broken

Hi there. The tutorial that ought to be here seems to have disappeared: http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Papilio.HighSpeedUART
  14. Ronn

I got my PRO!!

And I got iRobot Roomba. I have read a lot of articles on https://best4yourhome.com/irobot-roomba-comparison/ and decided to buy it. I am fully satisfied.
  15. hroyster

Loading Papilio Bram only project on papilio pro

As a follow up, I noticed that the ucf callout for the usb_tx and usb_rx seemed to be reversed from the pro ucf so I switched them (not sure about why this worked). When I did, the arduino programmer did not error on the missing core but generated the following error which looks like it found the core but did not see what it wanted to see. error - Board: Unknown board @ 96000000 Hz (0xb4010f00) Cannot program flash on non-sector boundaries! I thought the Bram flash ( i assume this is the program space in the bram flash) would be placed in the same place in the core but maybe not - there must be some ID issue. I have attached the project if any one has a chance to take a quick look. Thanks again for any help. Howard Flash_SD_2.7z
  16. I have built a special papilio that is a clone of the papilio pro. It also has spansion flash chip that shares the address and data lines with the SD memory. I want to create a bram only zupino core that I load into the pro like board. This will free the address and data lines of the SDRAM. If I de select the SDRAM on the new board and select the spansion flash, I can then use i/o registers to transfer files from the SD card on the CL wing to the spansion flash. Then I will load the actual xilinx program that uses the flash directly with no papilio core. Is there a straight forward way to do this? My first attempt was to modify the papilio 500 project with SD cl wing and modify the ucf file to correctly connect to the pro Hardware. The xilinx loaded and verified, but the arduino load operation could not find the bram core?? error (Cannot get programmer version, aborting) I figured someone else may have tried this obvious modification of loading the smaller zupino bram only core on the pro board, but I couldn't find a reference in the forum search. Thanks in advance for any help. Howard Royster
  17. Jack Gassett

Hey guys, I'm very sorry for the hassle, I'm not shutting GF down or moving websites. I started a new job and went through a very intensive two week training period with 14 hour days so there was no time left to look at forum posts here. The hosting for the downloads just happened to expire during that period and I didn't see the emails. I saw it once the training was over and everything should be sorted out now. Things should calm down going forward and I should settle into a routine where I can keep up with forum posts going forward. Once again, sorry for the hassle. Thanks, Jack.
  18. Jack Gassett

Program the ATmega32U4 without boot loader via USB

Hey Paul, glad you got is sorted out. Sorry for the slow response. Jack.
  19. Jack Gassett

transform papilio duo 2Mb into 512kB project

Hello Sandro, The only thing that is different between the 2MB and 512KB boards should be that in the 2MB board there is one extra address line that the 2MB chip provides. The circuit board is exactly the same, its just that on the 512KB board that address line connects to a pin that does nothing while on the 2MB board it gives access to more address space. Jack.
  20. Mattster

Papilio Loader GUI

How do I get the GUI for my Papilio Duo? When I click on the download links I get a weird error page that tells the Webmaster to contact Rackspace
  21. keesj

Hi, I do not know what is going on. I can also not download the IDE.
  22. Hey there. Is gadget factory shutting down their site or moving to a different domain / host? I can't download designlab, and I the papilio duo quickstart page takes me to a hostgator 404
  23. Hi, Can you give a bit more details? on what you mean with 0-10V ADC. Are you talking about an analog signal (if so how fat does it change)? it is input or output from the DUO's perspective?
  24. I need to know how can we be able to communicate 0-10v ADC Digital output signals with Papilio DUO which is only operated on 3.3V, whether we should use voltage divider or Level shifter please suggest the best way
  25. keesj

New (potential) user

Hi, I found the following videos quite inspiring https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/cad_os_fpga/ https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/cad_fpga_gui/
  26. Hi, I've been developping some for some time a programm for the Papilio Duo 2MB (I didn't started this project, and the person who did left). So far, everything works well. If i'm not mistaken, the only part of the board using the SDRAM is the ZPUino (Vanilla v2.0). I have less than 20kB of code, so using a 2MB Papillio is a bit overkill. Therefore, when I wanted to make a second such board, I ordered the 512kB version that is cheaper. The problem is that now only part of the functionnalities work (I'm doing a kind of PID contoler : the input stage and one of the outputs works, but the second output (with lower bandwidth but better resolution) doesn't work, even if I plug it on the same external hardware). I suspect that I missed some parameter to change when switching between 2MB and 512KB. For the moment, the only thing I found to change was the type of board in DesignLab. However, I suppose that there is also something to change in ISE? Would one of you be so kind as to explain me what I have to change? Thanks a lot in advance Best felix PS : in addition to the ZPU, there are also some pieces of VHDL and schematics I did (but that don't use SDRAM) and a few pieces from libraries (I see no reason for them to use SRAM either)
  27. Hi, The code up until the last part looks quite similar to that I have done. https://github.com/telamon/papilio-dspwing/blob/865e322b7eb3d761216595fead3c85fb294811ed/tremolo.vhd#L68 starts looking fishy. * Normally.. simply always use rising edges (and specially of the clock) * Your current process will only be "woken" up on a single bit transition(the control bit) but this will never happen unless you enable line 34 again.. https://github.com/telamon/papilio-dspwing/blob/865e322b7eb3d761216595fead3c85fb294811ed/tremolo.vhd#L68
  28. Hi! I'm trying to create a library based on the "Wishbone VHDL" sample i think. I'm currently stuck trying to write to a wishbone register, the ZPUIno just locks up while the vhdl-module continues to happily tick without any noticeable changes. I've cross-referenced my code with the simple writeLeds example but I really can't see anything that should cause this lockup, please help!. ( btw I'm on an Papilio Pro board ) Here's my code:http://www.pcbindex.com/ I can see the print of line 13 just fine, line 14 initiates the write, and then it gets stuck and I never seems to reach line 15 https://github.com/telamon/papilio-dspwing/blob/865e322b7eb3d761216595fead3c85fb294811ed/examples/simple_tremolo/simple_tremolo.ino#L15 which goes to: https://github.com/telamon/papilio-dspwing/blob/865e322b7eb3d761216595fead3c85fb294811ed/DSP_Wing.cpp#L33 <- how i perform the actual register write https://github.com/telamon/papilio-dspwing/blob/865e322b7eb3d761216595fead3c85fb294811ed/DSP_Wing.vhd#L98 <-- Here i try to receive/read. and finally.. https://github.com/telamon/papilio-dspwing/blob/865e322b7eb3d761216595fead3c85fb294811ed/tremolo.vhd#L68 <-- unpack and act upon the command. but that never happens either, so i can only assume that something went wrong with the register write inside the zpuino and that the changes to the register were never applied.
  29. Rob Bairos

Path of least resistance for beginner..

Could it be related to your USB chipset not recognizing that particular port for some reason? Did you rename/copy the dll's in your xilinx installation in win10? That was key for me. That and the ZPUIno image, and "MegaWing_Logicstart" sketch.
  1. Load more activity