CMT IP not available in ISE Webpack for Cortex6

MikeO

Even though the Papilio Duo hardware reference talks about having onboard CMT tiles, I don't see how to use them in ISE Webpack Design Suite 14.7. If I attempt to add an IP source and select from the FPGA features category, it says there's no support for the device when I attempt to add CMT component.

Anyone know how to access this feature using another method?

In particular I'm trying to map some sort of CLK input to my circuit design. I see P134 is mapped to the SCK on the AVR shieled MOSI pins. I've opted for that. The hardware guide also mentions there is a 32MHZ oscillator on P94, but I don't see this pin is exposed on the board pinout.  Obviously I am new to FPGA and this particular board, so I'm struggling on how to map an input clock to my circuit - then, short of devising my own clock divider circuit, how to take advantage of generating other clock speeds from the base clock using the Spartan6 IP.

The CMT (Clock Management Tile) is a block containing one PLL unit and two DCM units.  You can either instantiate a PLL or DCM unit directly in your code or use the "clocking wizard" to do it for you.  The clocking wizard is part of the Xilinx CORE generator (under FPGA Features and Design -> Clocking -> Clocking Wizard).  To learn more about the CMT, PLL and DCM check out this document: Spartan-6 FPGA Clocking Recources User Guide

This guide will tell you how to directly instantiate a PLL or DCM unit (or any other library component) in your code: Xilinx Spartan-6 Libraries Guide for HDL Designs (page 99 and 213 for DCM and PLL).

You should use the 32 MHz on-board oscillator as your clocking source, not the AVR SPI clock.

If you let us know more about what you want to do (like I want to generate a 100 MHz clock for my circuit, how do I do that?) then we can give you more specific help.

Edit: BTW, if you just want a clock input to your design but don't really care about the frequency then just use the 32 MHz on-board oscillator as your clock source, no need for a PLL or DCM.  You only need a PLL or DCM if you want to generated a different clock frequency (or multiple clocks with different clock frequencies).  For example, if your circuit has a VGA controller that needs to be clocked at 25 MHz then a DCM or a PLL will let you generate that clock from the 32 MHz input clock.

Magnus

Thanks! I stuck with it and found the "clocking wizard" and saw how it had added the module to the symbol list for my project. One problem during simulation it complained during build about not being able to find the ports. I had named them in upper case in the wizard (CLK_IN1, CLK_OUT1), After checking the forum I tried naming them in lower case in the wizard and the project compiled and ran without trouble after that.

As for the clock input, I downloaded the Eagle files and traced P94 (OSC_IN) to the output of the 32MHZ oscillator chip - realizing that should be the pin I map to the CLK_IN on my circuit in the user constraints file (.ucf) 

Mike