Papilio one 100k quick start bit file

armin

Good luck with that, it's always a dead give away when someone is blindly manufacturing and trying to sell the Papilio design. They always try to make a Papilio One 100K version...

Why are you asking me to assist you in competing with myself? The Papilio design is released Open Source because it is intended to allow other people to build on top of it and derive their own designs from it. The hope is that other people won't come along and just start manufacturing the boards and selling them in competition with me. Maybe if you are more forthcoming with your intentions I would be more understanding, but for now I can only assume that you intend to take actions that will take food away from my family. It's not worth trying to stop you, but I'm not going to help you do it. 

Jack.

There's a good chance he didn't know it was a knockoff when he purchased it, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the end user.

That said, one can hardly expect official support for a knockoff product. Most of the basic examples should compile fine, but the 100k is a rather small FPGA by current standards so many of the Papilio designs that utilize block memory will likely not fit.

Hey James,

You are right, I would never want to come down so hard on an end user or someone who accidentally bought a Papilio One 100K board without realizing it was a knockoff. Instead I would try to get them setup at a special price with an official Papilio board.

But there have been so many questions from Armin that are painting a pretty clear picture that he is just trying to get help with making knockoffs of the Papilio boards that I got a little frustrated. This post where he is demanding the QuickStart bit file for a Papilio board that doesn't even exist was just the latest of many such requests/demands... I guess I figure that if you are going to make a knock off at least have the decency to figure out the details yourself instead of demanding answers from everyone else... Seems like common decency :)

Anyway, having a friendly, non hostile forum is very important goal for the Papilio, so I apologize if this thread was contrary to that goal. And thank you James for helping me see that I was going astray. :)

Jack.

I see that now, I hadn't seen the other posts until after I had replied here. I don't blame you for being annoyed, when I give away something for free I don't want to be badgered for support so someone else can sell it for money. I wouldn't expect much help unless I was at least contributing something back to the project in exchange. I've built my own version of open source hardware numerous times but I often customize it to suit my own preferences and I don't normally sell them other than maybe letting a few leftovers go at cost.

• 2 years later...

Very well done both of you,

I understand that Jack was upset about people buying knockoffs. But unfortunately I have bought both Original Papilio Pro & Mega wing from Jack, I guess! (Factory Gadget that is) I hope. My only reason I bought them is that I love arcade games which I got some help from James on a particular game. But later I needed some help on how to create a memory core to be called u_invert, to compliment the VGA_Invert.vhd for space invaders, and all I got is nothing even from Jack himself. Where is the support?I am still waiting.

Thanks.

Right click in the project hierarchy, select New Source, then select IP Core Generator and from there you can create a memory. I'm not quite sure what you need that for though, is it not already part of the project? I'm pretty sure I have Space Invaders for both of the earlier Papilio boards somewhere, it's a project that I have ported to a number of different FPGA boards I have as sort of a "Hello World" type thing as it's known working code that is fairly simple to work with.

• 2 weeks later...

James, thanks for replying. I don't think it's part of the project. As you may already know I am new to this FPGA thing. I downloaded it many times from GitHub and managed to make both Pacman and Space invaders work. The problem was that they are opposite to each other on the screen and you have to turn the monitor the other way round. Then I saw a thread on the forum named Video inversion for Invaders for space invaders by Marco. The problem was I could not create the u_invert file for it. But finally I managed. Now the only problem I found is that the words ( SCORE<1>  HIGH SCORE  SCORE<2> ) are missing from the top of the screen.

Thanks

I'm afraid I can't be much help there, I never tried to invert the video, I've always just left it whichever way the original game was. Most arcade hardware has the ability to flip the screen for cocktail mode though so it should be a matter of just inverting whatever signal controls that in the game to flip the screen.

Are you sure the monitor isn't just adjusted so that text is off the screen?

I highly recommend reading Free Range VHDL http://freerangefactory.org/  It's free and was a big help to me when I was starting out. You will really need to learn VHDL (or Verilog) in order to get much out of your FPGA board, using only existing projects without being able to modify them is extremely limiting, once you know a bit of VHDL you can understand how they work and tweak things as needed.