Loading a circuit won't work in Windows 10

island_peter

Hello all,

just found the time to come back to my pap uno 500k and try out the new design lab. I setup a fresh win10 PC, downloaded the webpack ISE and build a little counter circuit. Can't get this thing to download to the FPGA. unkonwn board it says.

After installing design lab there was no communication with the board. I removed the installed drivers and let windows reinstall the default drivers and comm works from there on.

Sketch download to the zpuino 2 (from former times under Linux) in the flash works well but I've got no success to send the configuration to SPI Flash. For example I tried tried the Megawing Arcade and wait for around 2 minutes. Board type and port are correct (as seen in the lower right corner in Design Lab)

After 2 min I get this

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Using devlist.txt
readusb: Timeout readusb
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'io_exception'
Unknown Papilio Board

The board is attached and 2 Com Ports are shown in the win device manager (COM3 Papilio FPGA serial port and COM4 Papilio serial port). COM4 is choosen

Any idea what causes the timeout?

Regards and thanks for reading

Peter

Hi Jack and thanks for your response. The Win 10 is a clean new setup and no zombie programmer hangng around.
When I start the papilio-prog.exe after a minute or so I get a windows crash message. The cmd line shows

C:\DesignLab-1.0.7\hardware\tools\papilio\papilio_loader\bin>papilio-prog.exe -c
Using devlist.txt
readusb: Timeout readusb
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'io_exception'

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

the list com ports tool shows

C:\DesignLab-1.0.7\hardware\tools>listComPorts.exe
COM4 - Gadget Factory - FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6010+5&DC4A972&0&12&2\0000
COM1 - (Standardanschlusstypen) - ACPI\PNP0501\1
COM3 - Gadget Factory - FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6010+5&DC4A972&0&12&1\0000

Hmmm

P.S. just crosschecked with Linux. In Linux the programmer works ok (but design lab gives me a "cannot enter program mode")

P.P.S dooh.... I tried the Megawing example without MegaWing attached.... guess that's why "cannot enter program mode" appears. Quickstart works i.e. hardware is fine

Hello Peter,

I just finished installing Windows 10 on a test machine here and tried to load a circuit using DesignLab and I saw the same error message that you are reporting!

But, I did two things and it all started working for me. I'm not sure at this point which thing made the difference because I cannot recreate the problem now.

The first thing I did was to go to device manager and take a look at the device that shows up when I plug in the Papilio One board and I noticed that I see the Papilio under the Universal Serial Bus controllers section but nothing shows up for the serial port:

post-29509-0-56780600-1449272626_thumb.p

So I looked at the properties for Papilio FPGA Serial Converter B and enabled the "Load VCP" check box:

post-29509-0-76783200-1449272627.png

I then rebooted the computer and when I plugged the Papilio board in I saw the device show up as a serial port and all of the sudden programming from DesignLab worked...

I'm not sure if it was the reboot or checking Load VCP did the trick. The Load VCP should not interfere with the ability to program the Papilio device so I'm leaning towards a reboot, but that seems too easy...

Let's see what other people run into, can you try to enable "Load VCP" and see if that helps?

Jack.

• 1 month later...

I dont think disabling signed drivers would make much of a difference because the drivers are already signed. (I may be wrong here). WHat are the other ways to run papilio loader. You must have some sort of debug mode enabled where you can see which function call is actually timing out. The thing what I ifind funny is if I select Papilio One, instead of Auto Detect, the correct port shows. It begings to program but in the verifying stage it once again crashes. So if you find which function call is use in the verifying stage as ewell as the autodetect, you may be able to find the issue.