Trouble starting DesignLab

Keefep

I'm new. I downloaded, and installed DesignLab 1.0.7 and the application will not start, only producing a splash screen Named: Launch4j, with text: "An error occurred while starting the application". 

I'm loss....Does a resolution exist?

Loss in Michigan

Edited by Keefep

Have a look at my post near the same date as your thread.

Use windows search to find "jnidispatch.dll" and see how many instances you have. Now use task manager and see is "javaw,exe" is running.... Try to isolate what app is using java.... I think the IDE will grab a handle on the in memory jnidispatch.dll library if its in memory from another app.... Try to stop the suspect app and the corersponding "javaw.dll". Then delete the "jnidispatch.dll" if its not a critical app for you. Reboot.... Make sure you have no "javaw.exe" task running. Now try and launch the ide again. No promises, I had to fuss around a bit.

Search did not find any instances of jnidispatch.dll. There were three instances of javan.exe running. I stopped them all. Search did not turn up an instance of javan.dll. I restarted DesignLab. DesignLab splash screen comes up, after a time the design lab splash scree disappears then a moment later the Launch4j screen appears with text "An error occurred while starting application."

That is a normal popup message I think, what we need is the Java output that is spit out in the black command line window. Please disregard the pop up messages and paste the output from the black window, that should tell us where in the code it is choking. Then I can look at the source code and see at what line numbers it was running and determine where the problem is.

Jack.

I waited longer and received the additional strings (***):

"at processing.app.Base.addSketchesSubmenu(Base.java:1874)

at processing.app.Base.addSketches(Base.java:1794)"

for many lines...

*** Window opens and two instances of the text string are printed:
"Could not find boards.txt in C:\DesignLab-1.0.7\hardware\zpuino\zpu. Is it pre-1.5?"

Ok, we need to get all of the lines that it dumps because that gives us a trace of all the functions that have been called up to the point that it crashes. I looked at the two lines you pasted here and it is opening sketches but I don't see anything crazy. The only thing I can think of with that information is that maybe your preferences file is messed up?

Can you go to C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Roaming\DesignLab and either delete the preferences.txt file or delete the whole DesignLab directory?

If that does not work then please paste all the lines that it prints out.

Thanks,
Jack.

The window which opens does not allow me to copy lines of text, and the beginning lines are loss because they scroll so quickly that the windor buffer is over run. I cannot completely delete the DesignLan directory because the Java directory has protection set which I have not figured out how to overcome.

I deleted the preferences.txt and ran debud with following result:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

at java.util.Arrary.copyOf(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.String.<init><Unknown Source)

at java.io.Win32FileSystem.resolve(Unknown Source)

at java.io.File.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.io.File.listFiles(Unknown Source)

The DesignLab1.07 directory I could not delete. I renamed it and installed DesignLab again...the application opened. Progress. It appears either the file names are too long, or somehow the security settings are so restrictive I could not delete the DesignLab directory.

• 1 year later...