Design Lab will not launch at all!

Brad

I can't even get started with my new hardware. DesignLab will not launch. 

Launch4j error:

An error occured while starting the application.

ArduinoDebug.exe returns Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: com.sun.native.pointerSize()

Google shows nobody has same problem. Running windows 7... What's up gadget guys? I just bought two Pros and a couple arcade wings. Vanilla install doesn't even launch?

Hello Brad,

Can you paste the entire output of the ArduinoDebug? 

Also, you might check that there are permissions to create a DesignLab directory in your User directory. The other thing is to make sure there are no spaces in the path to where you installed DesignLab. 

We will get this figured out for you. :)

Jack.

Ran install using runas administrator. Ran debug using cmd running as administrator account.

C:\DesignLab-1.0.7>arduino_debug.exe

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: com.sun.jna.Native.po

interSize()I

at com.sun.jna.Native.pointerSize(Native Method)

at com.sun.jna.Native.<clinit>(Native.java:93)

at processing.app.windows.Platform.<clinit>(Platform.java:305)

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

at processing.app.Base.initPlatform(Base.java:270)

at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:140)

Ok, this seems to be the exact same problem you are having:

https://groups.google.com/a/arduino.cc/forum/#!topic/developers/SLm2_GKOdpU

It looks like the culprit is an application in your path that is providing an older version of jnidispatch.dll.

Eureka!

After a few more hours prodding around the system and looking up "java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError" and "com.sun.jna.Native.pointerSize()I", I came across a reference to discussion about file paths and JNA conflicts. 

Altered my path to contain only windows, windows/system32 and Arduino worked! (As are fritzing, Processing, etc).

This lead me to FileBot (a media file renaming program), which in it's latest update (4.0), contains jnidispatch.dll, the JNA native library, v4. Hence the conflict (which also went when leaving the path intact and deleting said file - proving it at fault).

This makes me think that more than a few "splash screen only" issues are due to a conflicting JNA native library used by another app, and the other apps JNA is being found first when java trawls the users %path% looking for the library. Would explain the intermittent nature of this issue which seems to go back to at least 2011 or even 2010.  Certainly worth further investigation!

Can you try with just windows and system32 in your path and if it works then take a look at the other directories in your path to see if any of then have an older version of jnidispatch.dll?

Jack.

Strange. It was the jnidispatch.dll in a folder for an app my employer makes, and I need to do my job. We released a new version last night and I unistalled the older version and upgraded. There was a handle on the old dll by an instance on javaw.exe, so I killed it, then deleted the older jnidispatch.dll.

The strange thing is I had rebooted a couple time but it still found the jnidispatch.dll... Now after upgrading my company apps and deleting to older install folders, everything agrees and DesignLab IDE now runs ok. Stranger still, my companies software still uses the exact same 3.5 version of jnidispatch.dll. And it was never in my system %path% in the first place.

Now I gotta go play with my new FPGA toys.

Jack, Brad All,

The Launch4j error is a problem that plagues the Arduino IDE - and it's derivatives, like Design Lab.

I am glad that you have managed to trace it back to a rogue or possibly malicious jnidispatch.dll

I virtually wrote off a laptop for any further Arduino/DesignLab development, because it got infected with the Launch4j problem

Thanks again - I now know how to cure it.

regards

Ken