nilrods

Interesting FPGA board ICARUS

5 posts in this topic

I ran across this interesting FPGA board the other day and thought I would share. It was designed for bitcoin mining back when they were still using FPGA's.

I saw some new boards, probably closeouts since most bitcoin miners have moved on to ASIC's. From what I read it's primary purpose was bitcoin mining but the guy that came up with the board as designed it to be a development board and sold most of the first batch to developers rather than bitcoin miners. From what I read the board worked well.

Here are some basic specs - 2X Spartan 6 LX150, 100+ GPIO(looks like in DIMM form factor) 50+ interconnect wires between the 2 Spartan 6 most routed as differential pairs.

The board is open sourced. I see them right now for sale for like $160, which to me seems ridiculously cheap since the price I see for Spartan 6 LX150 is about that price for one(I am sure they bought on volume at some point in the past).

I wonder how much work it would be to add support for a board like that to the DesignLab. Might be great for some of those bigger, more complicated projects. I have my eye on one for an AI project I have been getting interested in.

more info http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Icarus

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,
Chris

hehehehe, I thought the same thing myself when I first saw the name.

Not sure I would have called an electronics board after a project that ended in flames myself.