Physical dimensions, mechanical drawing

dindea

Anybody who has a mechanical drawing with all measures between connectors, mounting holes, etc?

I have plans to use a Papilio PRO as a piggy-back board on a "mother board". Therefore I need to know the exact placements of the connectors.

("Future will show" whether I keep the females and turn the board upside down into males on the board, or replace the top-side females with bottom-side males fitting into females on the mother board)

.brd files are used with eaglecad

www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/

converted the brd file to strings and saw "eagle" at the end of the list. Thanks though.

I was able to export as a DXF file and did load it into FreeCAD but couldn't get freeCAD to export as an STL. I should have removed all but the connectors and pcb.

Hopefullly dindea will share the design file they generate.

Doug

Doug (and others),

I downloaded and installed EAGLE as freeware, so I could read the '.brd' file correctly.

From that I made a "mechanical" drawing of the board, seen from the "component side". See attached 'papilio_one.pdf'.

The drawing contains coordinates of the "mass centers" of connectors relatively to the single-row 16-way connector.

I could look at the schematics, too. But I wonder if it is complete? I do not find all the connections for supply voltages in the diagram. And there is supply voltage "5V0" referred, with a '+' inside a ring. I find no source for '5V0'.

If, as I have plans to do, install Papilio ONE as a "piggy-back" board on a motherboard, I assume I can feed it with 5V from the motherboard via the supply-voltage connectors (those with 5V, 3.3V, 2.5V and GND), not installing the 'PWRSELECT' jumper (normally selecting whether to take 5V from USB or the built-in voltage regulator) and leaving PWR1 and PWRIN unconnected.  This is a conclusion from the Schematic.

I think it would not be too difficult to replace the sleeve connectors on the "component side" with pin connectors on the "solder side", to mate sleeve connectors on the motherboard.

BTW, I think that the Schematic tells me how I could myself include the USB circuit, the FPGA, etc. on my own motherboard, without a 'Papilio ONE'...

/dindea

papilio_one.pdf

Hello Dindea,

On the Papilio One 5V comes from either the USB connector or the 5V voltage regulator connected to the Power plug. It is recommended to use USB instead of the power plug. You can see all of the 5V wires by typing "sho 5V" in Eagle.

For the Papilio Pro 5V comes from the USB connector only.

You can indeed use any of the Papilio designs in your own motherboard instead of having it piggyback. 

Jack.

OK, it was a little of a mistake.

I have looked at the 'PRO', too. The I/O connectors (WING1, WING2), and the adjacent 4x1-s for supply voltages, form the same pattern as on the 'ONE'. Same distances. The PWRIN connector has the coordinates (16.51, 40.64) instead of the (10.414, 40.142) on 'ONE'. So if I mount PWRIN mates at both  (16.51, 40.64) and (10.414, 40.142), both boards will fit. No care taken (yet) to the different outer dimensions of the boards. The 'PRO' board extends another (some) 16mm below the W2_A16, W1_B16, W1_A1 pins.

One more thing, when/if I build the FPGA interface myself on the motherboard:

A configuration EEPROM is connected to the USB circuit. If I build an interface myself, the EEPROM will of course be initially blank. I assume the EEPROM on the 'ONE' and 'PRO' boards has relevant contents. How do I load relevant contents into "my own" EEPROM?

/dindea

(maybe not relevant to call this a "reply", but...)

The USB interface in the designs ('ONE', 'PRO') needs a configuration EEPROM. How is that EEPROM loaded with relevant contents? With the Papilio software? Or... ?

I assume it's the EEPROM that defines how the interface is configured, that channel A runs as a JTAG interface, channel B as a RS232(-like) interface. Wrong? How can the hardware outside the USB interface see when the Tx buffer is full?

/dindea