hoglet

Dave,

Hi again,

I'm trying to have my PS/2 keyboard working !  I would like some details for ISE generation (If I just open the duo xise and generate I get Atomic_core.vhd not found. Do you have a default project location? Any doc would be appreciated as for the emulator itself - what is the boot sequence , what are the minimum commands, steps to check .......... Well you know :P !)

Best regards

Pascal

PS : As a first try I wish to pullup the ps/2 pins .....

Pascal,

I assume you are using Windows?

Have you tried a different keyboard?

The .xise file was created on Linux, so if you are trying to build it on Windows the Xilinx tools might be interpreting the path separator character incorrectly. 

You should just be able to re-add all the sources. Or you could try to fix up the .xise file manually.

Does anyone know if .xise files are portable between Linux and Windows?

The manual for the Acorn Atom can be downloaded from here:

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6370#p62322

Dave

Pascal,

I assume you are using Windows?

Have you tried a different keyboard?

The .xise file was created on Linux, so if you are trying to build it on Windows the Xilinx tools might be interpreting the path separator character incorrectly. 

You should just be able to re-add all the sources. Or you could try to fix up the .xise file manually.

Does anyone know if .xise files are portable between Linux and Windows?

The manual for the Acorn Atom can be downloaded from here:

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6370#p62322

Dave

Thanks for the link I'll look the contents :) Unfortunately I have this only keyboard (It works on another hardware though). I will re-add the sources ........

Pascal,

I agree with you that pullups should be present on the PS/2 signals, so I've added them into the UCF file and rebuilt the bitstream.

This is now pushed to github.

Let me know if this makes any difference.

Dave

It would have been too easy :P ... No changes!

I have now a Windows project (just re-adding files like you said) wich generates a .bit file!

Alas, it regress giving me only "ACORN ATOM" then hangs with leds 1&2 lighted.

Thanks for the help.

Hey guys,

So I just got a chance to test this out and everything is working good for me. I did have a spot of trouble because I was plugging the keyboard into PS/2 connector B. But when I looked at the picture and connected to PS/2 A it was working correctly for me.

I'm able to hit shift F10 and load the software archive. I even loaded Galaxian and had some fun blasting alien bugs. :) Although on my U.S. keyboard the * key was in a weird location and playing galaxian was difficult because ctl was left and the up arrow was right and alt was fire. It was backwards and hard to play that way, but still fun. :)

So where do we stand? We are having one SD card issue is that it?

Jack.

Hey guys,

So I just got a chance to test this out and everything is working good for me. I did have a spot of trouble because I was plugging the keyboard into PS/2 connector B. But when I looked at the picture and connected to PS/2 A it was working correctly for me.

I'm able to hit shift F10 and load the software archive. I even loaded Galaxian and had some fun blasting alien bugs. :) Although on my U.S. keyboard the * key was in a weird location and playing galaxian was difficult because ctl was left and the up arrow was right and alt was fire. It was backwards and hard to play that way, but still fun. :)

So where do we stand? We are having one SD card issue is that it?

Jack.

As said, no issue on my side :)  (Oh well ... there is the french keyboard layout :P

Regards

Pascal

Jack,

Yes, just one SD Card issue remaining (Goos)

The keyboard layout for the Atom is problematic to map to PC keyboard, and all of the emulators also have the same issue.

It you look carefully at the attached photos, on the Atom most of the rows have 15 keys across, where as the PC keyboard has between 12 and 14 keys.

post-36537-0-32396700-1430769846_thumb.j

post-36537-0-61005600-1430770123_thumb.p

The control and  shift keys are also transposed.

Control/Shift/Repeat are frequently using in games, as they are easy to read in software.

I don't think much than can be done to improve the mapping, unfortunately.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have a new Kingston 8 gb card class 10 now installed. I can't get the SDcard working. If I try the atari 800 bit file The SDcard is functioning properly.

I wait for another card. This one is also a 8 gb class 10 card.

I wonder what card you are using.

Greetings,

Goos

Goos,

I'm using one of these:

http://www.johnlewis.com/sandisk-ultra-class-10-microsdhc-memory-card-8gb-48mb-s-with-sd-adapter/p1799183

I've just realized it is actually partitioned and formatted with a small (50MB) FAT file system.

I wonder if there is an issue with either FAT32 or the filesystem size.

I'll do some testing with a fresh card....

Dave

Dave,

I just recieved a class 10 sdhc Phillips card. It just don't work for me. I get a card : N/A. If I type *help. I don't know what is wrong. When I use another card when I use the atari 800. It workes just fine.

I have tried with powercycling my papillio duo and resetting with F10. Nothing works I just get card : n/a. If I trie *cat it just give me a Error - not ready.

Greetings,

Goos.

Hi Goos,

If the card type with *HELP is showing up as N/A that means the AVR Firmware has not detected a valid card. This is the same value that would be returned if there was no card present at all.

This is especially weird as:

- you have tried several different brand cards

- you have verified the card slot on the classic computing shield works with the Atari 800 design, so there is no simple hardware fault

- other people, myself included, have downloaded this same bit-stream and not encountered the problem

Can you post the complete response of *HELP please? I want to make sure the various software versions are as expected. This will confirm that the AVR Soft Core is executing code.

I'm sure we will get to the bottom of this, it might just take some time.

Do you have access to an oscilloscope or a logic analyser?

Dave

Hi Goos,

Here is a debug build for you to try:

https://github.com/hoglet67/AtomFpga/blob/master/Atomic_top_duo_debug.bit

I've added some code to the AVR firmware to output some debugging info to the USB Serial Port 1.

This is sent at 57600 baud (8 bits/no parity/1 stop bit).

This is what I see when I hit break (F10):

stdio initialisedcompiled at 16:34:42 on May 14 2015SerialPort0AVR CMD=0xfeAVR CMD=0xfeAVR CMD=0xfeAVR CMD=0x80mmc_initializesend_cmd cmd=0x40, arg=0x00000000send_cmd ret=0x01send_cmd cmd=0x48, arg=0x000001aasend_cmd ret=0x01send_cmd cmd=0x77, arg=0x00000000send_cmd ret=0x01send_cmd cmd=0x69, arg=0x40000000send_cmd ret=0x01send_cmd cmd=0x77, arg=0x00000000send_cmd ret=0x01send_cmd cmd=0x69, arg=0x40000000send_cmd ret=0x00send_cmd cmd=0x7a, arg=0x00000000send_cmd ret=0x00detected SDv2mmc_initialize set CardType to 0x0cAVR CMD=0xf0 

Let me know how you get on.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I can't get my output posted on this forum. It just won't work. I send you a message with the output from the debug bit file.

From your earlier question,

*HELP output:

Atommc2 V2.97E

© 2008-2013  Charlie Robson

Interface f/w version 2.a

bootload version 0.0

card type : n/a

And for the other question Yes I have a osciloscoop. It's a DSO Nano. I don't think it can do logic analising.

Greetings,

Goos

For anyone else following this, here is Goos's debug log:

stdio initialisedcompiled at 16:34:42 on May 14 2015SerialPort0AVR CMD=0xfeAVR CMD=0xfeAVR CMD=0xfeAVR CMD=0x80mmc_initializesend_cmd cmd=0x40, arg=0x00000000send_cmd ret=0xffmmc_initialize set CardType to 0x00AVR CMD=0xf0

The first command being sent to the SD Card (0x40) is the "Go To Idle" command.

The expected response is 0x01, where as you are getting 0xFF.

I get exactly this output when no card is present. It looks like the data line from the SDCARD (MISO) is stuck high.

Do you get this same output with all the cards you have tried?

As you have an scope, it's worth trying to capture the signals on the SD Card interface. You can see where they are on this diagram:

The signals you want to probe are:
- SD SCK (P114)
- SD MOSI (P115)
- SD MISO (P118)
- SD CS (P112)

If it helps, I can capture the waveforms that I'm getting as a reference.

Dave