Quadrature decoder

Filip

Filip,

This looks great. I will have to give this a try. I can see using this with my 3d printer papilio project I am working on. I think going closed loop with steppers or even going full closed loop servos which will require an encoder will really have a good impact on 3d printing reliability.

Thanks,
Chris

Filip,

This looks great. I will have to give this a try. I can see using this with my 3d printer papilio project I am working on. I think going closed loop with steppers or even going full closed loop servos which will require an encoder will really have a good impact on 3d printing reliability.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello Chris,

I use it also with PID reg. on my robot. I'm writing the tutorial now explaining how i connected everything - just need to find time for making pictures/video  :)

How many motors do you plan on using ? I / you can easy extend the encoder numbers to more than 4 in one module.

Do you plan on writing the whole 3d printer firmware by yourself ? Maybe this guide will be interesting for you ( steps 15, 16 ..)

Filip.

Filip,

Initially I am looking to port the teacup firmware over to the duo. You can see my thread on my design under the Papilio DUO forum under Papilio 3d printer firmware ideas thread. I am looking to use this on a retrofit of an existing commercial 3d printer I have had and used for many years till the proprietary board failed.

Initially I am just looking to use steppers but once I have that working probably will move over to servos or closed loop steppers. That is when I will need the quad decoder. Probably looking at 4 motors to start, might add more depending on the design of the printer and how many extruders.

That is a nice link you sent. It is a good breakdown of the process. thanks. I still have on my list to also build one from scratch 1 day.

Thanks,

Chris

Archived