Papilio Loader Message: Could not access USB device 0403:6010.

I'm getting the message:"Could not access USB device 0403:6010".when Scan is run. No COM Ports are appearing in the Device List on Windows 7 information about this code at: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm , but I.m not sure if any of what is on that page.is relevant.

I see that it is reported that a shorter USB cable might help. I'm willing to buy a shorter cable and see if that helps if anyone feels that might help.

Dennis

Hi,

try a different USB cable. There used to be a bad batch of cables, at least I got one of those with my board.

It should show up in Windoze's device manager: When plugged / unplugged, the list in DM collapses and gets rebuilt. If that doesn't happen => the PC doesn't recognize the USB device.electrically.

Also, try a different USB port, ideally 2.0 without any intermediate hub.

Man, I'm sorry this has been such an ordeal!

First of all, make sure that the board is getting power. The power LED should light up when plugged into USB port. Also make sure that the PWRSelect jumper is on the USB side and that the jumper is making a good solid connection.

Once there is power then you need to make sure that the device shows up in device manager. If you have power and a good USB connection then it should be showing up...

Try those things and lets see where we are.

Thanks!

Jack.

Thank you offroad and Jack for your replies. I had already tried every USB cable that I had and connected them directly to USB ports on my PC.I also checked that the cables worked.Since all my cables came with various devices and their quality may not have been so great, I bought a pack of three 3 foot USB cables. None of them worked. Any other ideas?

Dennis

Hi,

I'd try a different PC first.

What I'd do myself is to push gently on the FTDI chip and watch the device manager, whether it gives any response.

I'd also examine the pins carefully with a magnifying glass or microscope, if any is at hand.

You could run "inf-wizard.exe" from the "bin" folder of libusb-win 32:http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/files/latest/download?source=files

It creates a list such as the one in the snapshot that is updated after a couple of seconds when hardware is plugged in (don't actually create the driver, it's not needed).

post-36723-0-40952500-1409080508_thumb.p

In my screenshot, the board is represented by the two "dual RS232" entries, but they may look different without a driver.

Thank you both for your suggestions. The jumper was the problem. I had some trouble seeing the lettering on the board until I got a hold of a magnifying glass. After plugging in the USB cable  the  power light went on. I added the LogicStart Wing.and every other led of the eight started to blink

.I haven't got the bit file for the first project in Mike Field's book to load yet.That I will leave for tomorrow.

Dennis.

The LogicStart MegaWing on a Papilio One 500K is now blinking away, however the Loader is not loading. I've tried to load the first project from Mike Field's book and the Quick Start .bit file. I get the following message when I select SPI Flash:and nothing if I choose FPGA,

Using devlist.txt
Invalid chain position 0, position must be less than 0 (but not less than 0)
The drivers load when I plug in the device. First it says it is loading 

Dual RS232
Dual RS232

and then the following drivers are loaded.

USB Serial Converter A,
USB Serial Converter B
USB Serial Port (COM11)
USB Serial Port (COM12)

The first few times I tried ,getting the drivers to install. I got a message about some Microsoft dri,,ver failing, but it didn't happen just now.

Hello Stonechild,

I'm sorry, I've been knee deep in working on the Test Plan for the Papilio DUO and haven't been as responsive as normal. Sorry about that, the error message you got, "Invalid chain position 0, position must be less than 0 (but not less than 0)" Usually means there is a problem between the FTDI USB chip and the FPGA chip. I think we better send you a replacement board.

Can you send us an email at support@gadgetfactory.net with your current shipping address and a link to this forum thread so we can send a replacement?

Thanks,

Jack.

This could also be due to more than one FDTI chip connected to the computer.

By default the program opens the first FTDI device it finds with device id 0403:6010.  If that is not the Papilio board then the JTAG probing will fail with this cryptic error message.

I would go to the device manager and see what USB controllers you have connected. If it reports more than one set of "USB Serial Converter A/B" then you have more than one FTDI chip connected and this could be the problem

Magnus

Magnus,

The only other thing out of the ordinary was for a TI Stellaris Launchpad.. I removed it and rebooted . Unfortunately there was no change. I don't remember the details about the device. I wrote them down, but I can't find where I wrote it. It wasn't in the USB section or listed as a COM Port. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Jack, 

Thank you for the offer of  new board. I'll send the email right away.

I.

Archived