Xilinx ISE and SSDs

hamster

Regardless of whether ISE would do well, UPGRADE TO AN SSD. You will not regret this.

Yeah, a lot of what ISE does is CPU bound, but much more of what you do with a computer is disk bound.

Just have good backups. The failure mode on an SSD is sudden and complete. If you don't already have an automated backup system, set one up.  If you have to think about backing up, it won't happen.

FWIW, I've been running on SSD's for about 3 years now. Going back to rotational media is painful.

OK, I'm convinced enough to do it.

The days of spinning rust are numbered.... I'm thinking that soon computer architectures will be reduced to a 64-bit memory space, with some of the space being true RAM and some being (cached) SSD/flash. Goodbye SATA, goodbye SAS, 

Strangly this is much like IBM's mainframe architecture....

Now that large SSDs are almost afforable (at something like US$0.50 per GB) I'm wondering if it is worth upgrading my laptop's HDD to a SSD.

Does ISE run any better snappier off of a SSD? Most things seem to be CPU bound...

Since I bought a ssd one month ago, I am scratching my head why the hell I have been waiting so long to do this upgrade... :-)

IMHO

1. Memory is cheaper than SSD - if your box is slow then more memory can be a bigger help (assuming you are running a 64bit OS at least)

2. SSDs need good backups. Hard disks often give you a hint they are going to die, or have the decency when they die to just expire on the spot. SSDs rarely give you a hint, and sometimes die a rather horrible drawn out death where they do things like quietly eat your data without telling you.

They are getting better but with an SSD you need to be doing all things you are *supposed* to be doing for hard disk backups...

Archived