Using USB for serial

Guest Idontwanttoforumbutok

I have a technical question about the Papilio One 250k. I want to have this board communicate serial (RS232) from the AVR8 soft processor that is on-board. I can't seem to find any useful datasheets online but in a sales description it says it comes with "Two-Channel USB Connection for JTAG and Serial Communications". Does this imply that I can output a serial RS232 signal through a USB-to-RS232 cable using the same USB port that is used for JTAG programming the device? It sounds like it could be too good to be true. If it is too good to be true, is there some way to output RS232 from this board from that chip, or perhaps another gadget factory board with FPGA and soft processor that can output RS232? I understand this may be jargon to any person reading this, so if there's an issue understanding the problem, could I get a good datasheet for the product so I can understand it better before purchasing it?

This is my only source of information on this product. "http://store.gadgetfactory.net/papilio-one-250k/"

Thanks,

Matt

The AVR8 soft processor makes the Papilio One 250k behave like an Arduino so you can use our modified version of the Arduino IDE to communicate over the serial port. Here is a quickstart guide that shows how to setup our modified version of the Arduino IDE, called ZAP IDE, and load a sketch that sends the ASCII table over the serial port. All you have to do to use the serial port is follow this quickstart and then use the serial port exactly like you would with an Arduino. Here is the arduino Serial reference page.

Thanks. This device is really handy. I've never worked with Arduino before, but it shouldn't be too hard to pass the learning curve with this information.

Archived